Seeking advice on my first ever build

Hey,

So this is my first ever time building a PC and I'd like to ask any of you guys if you'd make any changes on what I was thinking about buying. I'll be purchasing in 1-2 weeks from now on.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is around 1100€ ($1200). Most likely I'll be buying the parts from Alternate.de

2. Aim

I'll be using this PC for Machine Learning development - building, training and testing models (in Python, using libraries like TensorFlow, etc.). I'm not planning on doing any gaming.

3. Monitors

I'll be using a single monitor for a while, I might consider a second monitor later. I haven't decided on the resolution yet, however since I won't be doing any gaming, I don't think it really matters.

4. Peripherals

All I need is a complete tower. I don't need an OS either.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm in the need of a performing PC for my work, since all I have at the moment is a laptop with a 960M GPU. ML development requires a lot stronger GPU.

6. Preferences

As of what I've read, RTX cards are the way to go for my purposes. Also the tasks I'll be doing aren't really heavy on CPU, this is the reason why I went with a Ryzen 5 build: this way I can save some money and spend it on the GPU, preferably the 2070 Super.

This is what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€209.00 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€99.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€74.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€81.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (€529.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€74.19 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1152.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 18:46 CEST+0200

That's a very nice system, the Ryzen 3600 is about the same speed as an i7 8700 at stock speed, and when you turn on boost mode it matches up to an 8700k

https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/

As for the B450 Tomahawk you probrably need to update the BIOS via the MSI flashback tool in order to use the Zen2 ryzen

The Corsair Power supply is considered a Mid range unit, its decent but it certainly could be better, and for your PC I recommend a higher end one such as the Corsair RMx 550 which I used for my build or something on the A+ tier list

Here is the official PSU tier list

But overall a solid PC for you first build and good luck!

1 hour ago, didnthaveabetteridea said:

Hey,

So this is my first ever time building a PC and I'd like to ask any of you guys if you'd make any changes on what I was thinking about buying. I'll be purchasing in 1-2 weeks from now on.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is around 1100€ ($1200). Most likely I'll be buying the parts from Alternate.de

2. Aim

I'll be using this PC for Machine Learning development - building, training and testing models (in Python, using libraries like TensorFlow, etc.). I'm not planning on doing any gaming.

3. Monitors

I'll be using a single monitor for a while, I might consider a second monitor later. I haven't decided on the resolution yet, however since I won't be doing any gaming, I don't think it really matters.

4. Peripherals

All I need is a complete tower. I don't need an OS either.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm in the need of a performing PC for my work, since all I have at the moment is a laptop with a 960M GPU. ML development requires a lot stronger GPU.

6. Preferences

As of what I've read, RTX cards are the way to go for my purposes. Also the tasks I'll be doing aren't really heavy on CPU, this is the reason why I went with a Ryzen 5 build: this way I can save some money and spend it on the GPU, preferably the 2070 Super.

This is what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€209.00 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€99.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€74.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€81.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (€529.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€74.19 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1152.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 18:46 CEST+0200

Looks good to me.

Thank you, guys.

One of my friends just suggested that I should be going with a 650W PSU since I chose the 2070 Super. Is it really case or am I fine with 550W?