[Upgrading from a 8350fx]

Exoriya

I have finally.. finally.. not only saved up enough to purchase a better build, however i can afford food and necessities as well xD.

So I literally still have my very first build of my PC. Only things I have upgraded on it was the Power Supply from a [Bronze] that died on me *Which i recommend never going cheap on the PSU*. I also upgraded the GPU from a amd 7700? I forgot which it was lol. 

So far, the comp is pretty much this: 

8350fx 

1070 EVGA boosted. 

average SSD / 1tb HD. 

Rest of it is just cheapo mobo/ddr3 ram. etc. Now, I'm still searching on which CPU i wanna go. I'm deciding between a 9900k vs a 3900k from AMD. However, I want to go with the best option that will provide me the best Single Core speed but also enough multi-core speed for gaming. I plan on live-streaming, recording, as well playing games.

Here is the comp so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvGT3b

Lemmie know what you guys think?

For live streaming, be sure to use the New NVENC encoder. 1080p 30fps 3500Mb/s for me only uses about 5-8% of my GTX 970, compared to 20-50% of my i7 8700K.

I'd personally go with Ryzen, however Intel still seems to hold the lead for gaming performance.

Consider swapping the 970 Evo out for an 860 Evo (unless you buy it right now while it's only $90 for the 500GB model). There's not much noticeable difference in performance (for most situations) between SATA SSDs and NVMe SSDs. You can often get around 2x the capacity for the same cost by getting a SATA SSD instead. (500GB 970 Evo is normally $150, while the 1TB 860 Evo is $138).

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you are planning on livestreaming and recording, you should get the R9 3900x as you will benefit from the additional threads.

Single-Core performance of the 3900x is very close to the 9900k anyway so your games will not suffer.

I'm yet to dive into the Zen 2 lineup benchmarks personally, so i'm unable to quote specific numbers here, but I believe that AMD has Intel handily beat for raw performance when it comes to gaming and streaming on the same machine (potentially recording as well, depending on the circumstances and how recording is being handled). I'd encourage you to look at some benchmarks, I know Gamers Nexus has done some benchmarking specifically on this subject. It will come with the tax of having to wait, however, as stock is long gone at retailers, and I'd imagine the resale market (ebay, hardwareswap, ETC) are preying for exorbitant/extortionate prices on those who don't have patience.

I can not in good faith encourage or leave a post here without giving you my perspective on why I avoid anything Asus like it carries the plague. This is my personal experience, and I provide it to you (and others) so that they can make a more informed decision. It's not a "reeeee don't buy Asus or you're a worthless being reeeee".

I know it's only a partial build, however additional storage will almost certainly be needed. @TheKDub has a solid suggestion on the 860 evo. "large" 2.5" sata SSD's do tend to be slightly cheaper as well, so that is always a consideration. I've been very happy with the MX lineup from Crucial.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Not 3600 or at least 3200mhz being zen 2? From what I’ve gathered it does benefit the IF

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

well if the BEST performance is what you want, and a 9900k is on the table in terms of budget, then shouldn't people be recommending the 9900k? It has the better all-round gaming experience and while AMD has gotten very close, the 9900k still offers better single thread performance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these performance leads was a result of optimizations. I guess the 12 core would be more appealing if your workload took advantage of the extra cores.

I believe AMD true value is in the stack below the high end gaming build, even with Zen2, unless I am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Ertman said:

well if the BEST performance is what you want, and a 9900k is on the table in terms of budget, then shouldn't people be recommending the 9900k? It has the better all-round gaming experience and while AMD has gotten very close, the 9900k still offers better single thread performance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these performance leads was a result of optimizations. I guess the 12 core would be more appealing if your workload took advantage of the extra cores.

I believe AMD true value is in the stack below the high end gaming build, even with Zen2, unless I am I missing something?

I’m sorry but even a 3700x comes close to 9900k in certain loads. 3900x being at same price point but 4 more cores and 8 more threads.. I’d say it be dumb getting ‘old’ tech with zen 2 on the block 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Not 3600 or at least 3200mhz being zen 2? From what I’ve gathered it does benefit the IF

you can manually clock it to 3200 tho

13 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I’m sorry but even a 3700x comes close to 9900k in certain loads. 3900x being at same price point but 4 more cores and 8 more threads.. I’d say it be dumb getting ‘old’ tech with zen 2 on the block 

I would agree personally, but isn't this about what the OP asked, which was the BEST performance for the outlined scenario? I do find it funny that its dumb to get 'old' tech that still outperforms Zen2 in the workflow outlined?

'

I think the biggest argument to be made is that the extra cores could come in handy in the future, but does it make any difference now/near future? If we are talking about budgetary compromises, I think it would be silly to go with Intel.

FWIW If I were building a PC right now, I too would choose a Zen 2 CPU.

13 minutes ago, Ertman said:

I would agree personally, but isn't this about what the OP asked, which was the BEST performance for the outlined scenario? I do find it funny that its dumb to get 'old' tech that still outperforms Zen2 in the workflow outlined?

'

I think the biggest argument to be made is that the extra cores could come in handy in the future, but does it make any difference now/near future? If we are talking about budgetary compromises, I think it would be silly to go with Intel.

FWIW If I were building a PC right now, I too would choose a Zen 2 CPU.

Have a look at CSGO benchmarks which are heavy heavy cpu bound

37 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Infinity Fabric is no longer linked to memory speed, so there's only a minimal performance improvement with faster memory. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/3.html

35 minutes ago, Ertman said:

The 9900k isn't better than the 3900X. It's just slightly better than the 3700X, but at a much higher price.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Infinity Fabric is no longer linked to memory speed, so there's only a minimal performance improvement with faster memory. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/3.html

The 9900k isn't better than the 3900X. It's just slightly better than the 3700X, but at a much higher price.

So you are saying the 3900x is better at gaming? 

34 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Have a look at CSGO benchmarks which are heavy heavy cpu bound

If thats all the OP is playing, I would agree with you, most games don't use that many threads, have a look at the other gaming benchmarks.

Like I said before, I would go with Zen, but to my knowledge the Intel CPUs are still the top performers in most scenarios outlined, something I could be wrong about, and feel free to correct that assertion.

Either choice by the OP will be VASTLY superior to the fx8350

59 minutes ago, Ertman said:

If thats all the OP is playing, I would agree with you, most games don't use that many threads, have a look at the other gaming benchmarks.

Like I said before, I would go with Zen, but to my knowledge the Intel CPUs are still the top performers in most scenarios outlined, something I could be wrong about, and feel free to correct that assertion.

Either choice by the OP will be VASTLY superior to the fx8350

No I meant, comparing zen+ to zen 2 in comparison with 9900k the FPS gap is basically nihil 

3 hours ago, Exoriya said:

I'll recommend something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($73.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $630.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 08:14 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

17 hours ago, Ertman said:

So you are saying the 3900x is better at gaming? 

Sometimes. But the difference isn't that big. The 3700x is a better deal. We still don't know for sure if the "more cores!" mentality is going to be fully embraced by video game developers, as it takes a lot of work on their part.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440