i7 8700/9700 on b250 mod?

I was wondering if it would be possible to mod my b250 motherboard by gigabyte to run an intel i7 8700 or 9700. I have seen tutorials on how to and I am pretty confident, but those are for the Z series boards. I dont actually care for overclocking as I just game, which is why I havent bought a Z series board.

Reason for this is I just do not want to buy another motherboard, just a waste of money when I could spend more time and mod my CPU to work and save money. I have a 650W power supply so I have more than enough power for it to run, so no issue there. 

MY RIG

MOBO: ASUS Prime B250M-A 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6400

GPU: Galax GTX 1080 EXOC SNIPER White RGB

RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR4

PSU: Corsair VS650 650W

SSD: Seagate 128gb ssd

HDD(s): Barracuda 500gb HDD + Barracuda 1TB HDD

Wouldn't really recommend doing it. Just because your power supply is capable of powering the CPU doesn't mean your motherboard is.

The 8700K and 9700K aren't compatible with Z170, Z270, B150, B250, etc... chipsets.

Just get a new motherboard. It's only about $86 for an ASUS PRIME B360M-A (https://amzn.to/2xHQAR3), or there's always the option of Ryzen where you'll get much better upgrade support than with Intel.

Again, just because you *can* get it working with modifications does not mean you should.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

59 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Wouldn't really recommend doing it. Just because your power supply is capable of powering the CPU doesn't mean your motherboard is.

The 8700K and 9700K aren't compatible with Z170, Z270, B150, B250, etc... chipsets.

Just get a new motherboard. It's only about $86 for an ASUS PRIME B360M-A (https://amzn.to/2xHQAR3), or there's always the option of Ryzen where you'll get much better upgrade support than with Intel.

Again, just because you *can* get it working with modifications does not mean you should.

And that is the new price. I see an open box B360 on eBay for $58.88 and just 2 bids on a used one for $41.00. I've seen multiple H310 motherboards ending in 2 days with zero bids starting at $14.99.