Do I buy the ALIENWARE AREA 51M or wait?

Hi,

I am in need to get a new laptop to travel with as I work a lot *away* from home and I haven't given myself a budget for this. I have been looking at the ALIENWARE AREA 51M with the upgraded 2080 graphics but will be leaving the 16GB ram as I cn upgrade these cheaper elsewhere. I've gone for the 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive as my storage option. With the discounts I can get with it, it will be around  £2800.

Has anyone got any input to this? Are there any planned revisions coming in the next month or are there any better options?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

id say the extra ram is more important than the SSD Raid 0 which only increases your chance of data loss for minimal gains.

beside this i dont really get why you need a new laptop to travel with because you work from home a lot.

generally i would strongly advise to not buy such an expensive laptop simply because for half the budget you can get a laptop thats much lighter and maybe has like 20% less performance.

Then in 2 years when you feel like you need more power you can still take the other half of the budget and buy another laptop which is then probably even faster than what you want to buy right now for 2800€

2 minutes ago, jamespurs said:

Hi,

I am in need to get a new laptop to travel with as I work a lot from home and I haven't given myself a budget for this. I have been looking at the ALIENWARE AREA 51M with the upgraded 2080 graphics but will be leaving the 16GB ram as I cn upgrade these cheaper elsewhere. I've gone for the 512GB RAID0 (2x 256GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive as my storage option. With the discounts I can get with it, it will be around  £2800.

Has anyone got any input to this? Are there any planned revisions coming in the next month or are there any better options?

Any feedback would be much appreciated

I've had mine since April, love everything about it. See my review here: Alienware Area-51m Review by Ultra Male

Some people have been getting burned systems and whatnot but recently it seems like Dell has fixed the new batches. Get it from HIDevolution and choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fuyjipoly Thermal pads" as these things get super hot quickly with the stock thermal paste. You'd still have the Dell on-site support warranty in addition to HIDevolution's free lifetime tech support and you'll get a properly tested system. See: http://www.hidevolution.com/catalogsearch/result/?a=all&q=area-51m

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

id say the extra ram is more important than the SSD Raid 0 which only increases your chance of data loss for minimal gains.

beside this i dont really get why you need a new laptop to travel with because you work from home a lot.

generally i would strongly advise to not buy such an expensive laptop simply because for half the budget you can get a laptop thats much lighter and maybe has like 20% less performance.

Then in 2 years when you feel like you need more power you can still take the other half of the budget and buy another laptop which is then probably even faster than what you want to buy right now for 2800€

Sorry, it was meant to say that I work a lot away from home

There are better options if you're moving around a lot. Basically any Clevo unit with similar specs has pretty much always beaten any Alienware into the floor in both price and performance. I mean... Alienware is only popular because of the original crew, which used to build CLEVO machines with the Alienware name slapped on them. xD 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Advanced issues found

10 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Get it from HIDevolution and choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fuyjipoly Thermal pads" as these things get super hot quickly with the stock thermal paste. You'd still have the Dell on-site support warranty in addition to HIDevolution's free lifetime tech support and you'll get a properly tested system. See: http://www.hidevolution.com/catalogsearch/result/?a=all&q=area-51m

The problem is that they are U.S based. I already have the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut but could look into getting the thermal pads

1 minute ago, jamespurs said:

The problem is that they are U.S based. I already have the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut but could look into getting the thermal pads

I see, well FYI wherever you buy a Dell laptop from, with a simple call to Dell in your country you can transfer the warranty and on site support free of charge. That's what I did and I live in Dubai but if you are comfortable doing it yourself then that's good. I also have no clue how to put those thermal pads by the way. I only know how to replace thermal paste.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro