Radeon RX 5700 XT cooling system

Naxy
Go to solution Solved by MeatFeastMan,
Just now, Naxy said:

Yea that's what I was planning to do. Just sucks people have to wait another month or so for the card. 

And also, the RX 5700 non-XT has much lower temps with the blower design than the XT does. It's also $50 cheaper than the 2060 Super while pretty much matching it in performance. So if you can't wait, 5700 is also a much better buy than the 2060 Super.

Hi all 

So I am currently making a new gaming system, which includes the new AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. For the GPU, I am not 100% sure. I have read a few articles comparing the new 2060, and 2070 supers to the RX 5700 and the RX 5700 XT. It seems like the RX 5700 XT (the one that I was planning on using) is overall better than the 2060 super, which is ~$100.00 CAD more than the XT. The 2070 super seems to perform better than the XT, though it is ~$200.00 CAD more. And in terms of performance (FPS) I am taking a large stroke here. It seems to me that the XT is a better value than the 2060, and 2070 super, though, I have begun to read the people are not very impressed with the blower system on the XT. Even reviews comparing the temperature between the 2070 super and the XT shows the difference in cooling performance (under high loads). 
Now I am not planning to play on the highest possible settings on big name games like Battle Field, but I am planning to use high settings on bigger games. So my question is, should I be concerned about the cooling performance of the XT? Is it that concerning that I should consider one of the supers? Or wait till the middle of August?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!

My new gaming build; 

i wouldnt buy a xt rigth now, because the blower style fan is not only not enough but also will make so much noise you will not want it near your build, at the moment if you can go for a 2060 super, i would go with that one, the xt will be a option until a sapphire or a msi or any other custom model comes

13 minutes ago, goto10 said:

i wouldnt buy a xt rigth now, because the blower style fan is not only not enough but also will make so much noise you will not want it near your build, at the moment if you can go for a 2060 super, i would go with that one, the xt will be a option until a sapphire or a msi or any other custom model comes

So if I want to get a GPU right now, order a 2060 super. If I want the XT, wait till a custom model comes out. 

11 minutes ago, Naxy said:

So if I want to get a GPU right now, order a 2060 super. If I want the XT, wait till a custom model comes out. 

Yep thats pretty much the conclusion that everyone (fans and reviewers) came to. If you can wait another 1 or so months to get a custom xt card then it'd be a great value but the blower just.... well.... blows.

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x  Cooler: Wraith Prism    RAM: 32gb G.Skill Tridentz RGB 3200mhz     Mobo: Asrock X570 Taichi

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700 XT     Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG     PSU: Corsair RM850x     

Storage: 250gb Samsung 960 EVO, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

HTPC/VR Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600     Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a     RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200mhz     Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ITX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8gb     Case: Fractal Design Node 202     PSU: Corsair SF600    

Storage: 120gb Kingston A400, 500gb Samsung 860 EVO

Streaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4ghz OC     Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition    RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengence LPX 2400mhz     Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 MATX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 4gb     Case: Inwin 301 White/Blue     PSU: Evga 450BR    

Storage: 240gb Crucial BX500, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Just now, driftz240 said:

Yep thats pretty much the conclusion that everyone (fans and reviewers) came to. If you can wait another 1 or so months to get a custom xt card then it'd be a great value but the blower just.... well.... blows.

Ha.It kind of sucks that people have to wait another month to get the XT with a proper cooling system. I think it is a great value card, that's the reason I want to put it in my new build. Its unfortunate that AMD decided to use the blower style cooling system. 

33 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Ha.It kind of sucks that people have to wait another month to get the XT with a proper cooling system. I think it is a great value card, that's the reason I want to put it in my new build. Its unfortunate that AMD decided to use the blower style cooling system. 

after radeon VII we all had hope to see blower style gpus for desktops to disappear, but not, amd decided to drag the horrible design for another year

Just now, goto10 said:

after radeon VII we all had hope to see blower style gpus for desktops to disappear, but not, amd decided to drag the horrible design for another year

I think it's not a very good move from AMD. People who want to upgrade may want the XT, but because of the blower system, they will probably just get a super instead. Though, some will wait the month and a bit to get the XT with a proper cooling system.

10 minutes ago, Naxy said:

I think it's not a very good move from AMD. People who want to upgrade may want the XT, but because of the blower system, they will probably just get a super instead. Though, some will wait the month and a bit to get the XT with a proper cooling system.

completelly agree there, on the other hand, in a month the drivers will be great, a sapphire with two fans xt will be spectacular and will sell really well

it was a bad move, like when rx580 was released, gpu is spectacular, blower fan is not

2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

completelly agree there, on the other hand, in a month the drivers will be great, a sapphire with two fans xt will be spectacular and will sell really well

it was a bad move, like when rx580 was released, gpu is spectacular, blower fan is not

Yep. Like I really like the XT, but based on the reviews for the temperatures, I think I am just going to hold off until the cooling system is improved. The rest of my build will be waiting for the final piece. 

Would the custom model of the XT cost more than the original one?

7 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Would the custom model of the XT cost more than the original one?

sometimes yes, better design on pcb and cooling solution can cost more, sometimes costs the same, other times cost less, i would go with sapphire offering, it will be bigger and better, but possibly 2.5 slots, not just 2 as it is on the blower fan model

Just now, goto10 said:

sometimes yes, better design on pcb and cooling solution can cost more, sometimes costs the same, other times cost less, i would go with sapphire offering, it will be bigger and better, but possibly 2.5 slots, not just 2 as it is on the blower fan model

Thanks for the info. I think I will wait until a better model of the XT comes out.

From what I have seen, AMD has board partner's locked down when it comes to cooler changes. If I am not mistaken, 3rd party GPU's have already been released.  https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700xt&N=100007709&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&isdeptsrh=1  I personally would never purchase a blower cooler, there is a reason why those type of coolers have been phased out of the market.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

3 hours ago, Fakmykak said:

From what I have seen, AMD has board partner's locked down when it comes to cooler changes. If I am not mistaken, 3rd party GPU's have already been released.  https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700xt&N=100007709&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&isdeptsrh=1  I personally would never purchase a blower cooler, there is a reason why those type of coolers have been phased out of the market.

Man if that's the case, that sucks. 

6 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Man if that's the case, that sucks. 

That isn't the case. Those are just the same cards as the ones you would buy normally but with a sticker or two on them. The ones with custom designs are coming in August. Wait it out because the RX 5700 XT is a much better buy than the 2060 Super.

2 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

That isn't the case. Those are just the same cards as the ones you would buy normally but with a sticker or two on them. The ones with custom designs are coming in August. Wait it out because the RX 5700 XT is a much better buy than the 2060 Super.

Yea that's what I was planning to do. Just sucks people have to wait another month or so for the card. 

Just now, Naxy said:

And also, the RX 5700 non-XT has much lower temps with the blower design than the XT does. It's also $50 cheaper than the 2060 Super while pretty much matching it in performance. So if you can't wait, 5700 is also a much better buy than the 2060 Super.

That is a possibility. The non-XT version has a good amount of power in it, especially if you compare it to the GTX 1060 6GB I have in my system. Why would the non-XT version be better temps wise? Doesn't it use the same cooling system?

Just now, Naxy said:

That is a possibility. The non-XT version has a good amount of power in it, especially if you compare it to the GTX 1060 6GB I have in my system. Why would the non-XT version be better temps wise? Doesn't it use the same cooling system?

It does, but the clocks are lower, so temperatures are a good 10c lower.

3 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

It does, but the clocks are lower, so temperatures are a good 10c lower.

Hmmm, that sounds nice. Ha. I think that may be the new GPU that goes into my build. ~$50.00 cheaper than the XT, which has a bad cooling system, and performs equally to the 2060 super. Sounds like a deal.

So here's the build with the non-XT version;

3 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Hmmm, that sounds nice. Ha. I think that may be the new GPU that goes into my build. ~$50.00 cheaper than the XT, which has a bad cooling system, and performs equally to the 2060 super. Sounds like a deal.

So here's the build with the non-XT version;

I'd get rid of the watercooler. You get a free cooler with the 3600, and that gets the job done while saving you $120.

I'd get rid of the watercooler. You get a free cooler with the 3600, and that gets the job done while saving you $120.

But what if I don't want to save $120? :D

It gets pretty warm where I live, so I think it would be nice to have a little more, cooling power for the CPU, in warmer temperatures. 

Just now, Naxy said:

But what if I don't want to save $120? :D

It gets pretty warm where I live, so I think it would be nice to have a little more, cooling power for the CPU, in warmer temperatures. 

Well do that then I guess.

Just now, MeatFeastMan said:

Well do that then I guess.

Other than the cooler, any other thoughts on the build? I know I originally wanted to us the Lian-Li case, but, thinking about others. 

3 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Other than the cooler, any other thoughts on the build? I know I originally wanted to us the Lian-Li case, but, thinking about others. 

Well there's definitely better value cases, but if you want airflow for lower temperatures then that's very good at that sort of thing.

What I would do is change the ssd to a different one, because I believe the 660p has a fairly short lifespan in comparison to most of the others. And also, we can definitely save money on the case:

Changed SSD to a more reliable MX500, and changed the case to a corsair 400c, which has more than good enough airflow for good temperatures.