Problems with my TP-LINK router

SaHaRzZz

I have the TP-LINK Archer C2, with a specific firmware for my country.

and it has problems every couple of days, mostly the internet stops working and I have to reboot the router, but lately I have noticed an issue that it drops the speed to 100mbps instead of 1gbps.

could a specific setting cause this issue? I tried contacting TP-LINK themselves but they told me that I have a specific firmware and they can't do anything beyond that.

what do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

That seems to happen to them after a while, but that's likely why they're $20.

You can try like leaving it unplugged for a while so it completely drains itself.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

That seems to happen to them after a while, but that's likely why they're $20.

You can try like leaving it unplugged for a while so it completely drains itself.

it's this model:
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c2/

it's 63 dollars in my country,

idk really about this model, should I take something else?

2 minutes ago, SaHaRzZz said:

It's not really something you can usually fix unless the router itself is easy to hack like older linksys routers.

You could try to send it in under warranty or something maybe, or if you bought it more recently bringing it back to that store.

Otherwise maybe look into something else, or if you buy a network card you can turn a spare PC or laptop into a router.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

It might be a setting. Make sure the firmware is up to date. It could be that it's just a cheap router. 

On 7/10/2019 at 2:21 AM, Streetguru said:

It's not really something you can usually fix unless the router itself is easy to hack like older linksys routers.

You could try to send it in under warranty or something maybe, or if you bought it more recently bringing it back to that store.

Otherwise maybe look into something else, or if you buy a network card you can turn a spare PC or laptop into a router.

I tried the warranty and they told me that I'll have to give it to them for a couple of days,

but there isn't much sense in that cause then I'll be stuck without any connection :/
Also they told me that there isn't any newer firmware version and they'll probably install another version, I don't really trust that solution and/or if they'll truly solve the problem as it could come back a few days later by surprise.

9 hours ago, TheCMan said:

It might be a setting. Make sure the firmware is up to date. It could be that it's just a cheap router. 

Could be, but I really don't know what to look for, every setting looks fine to me >< and if something triggers it there's no way I'll know what it is.
And yeah it could be it that it's a cheap router I don't know.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what router should I buy? or what to look at when buying one?

TP-Link has been made aware of the random disconnect problem with their products but they haven't really done anything about it. Random disconnects are attributed to a DNS Server disconnect at random while wireless devices connected to the router are working fine. The TP-Link routers are a different story entirely and it seems to happen with most of their products.

Fritz and Netgear have the same issues with their product and none of them provides a clear cut solution, Fritz state in their FAQ that if none of their methods works to resolve the problem, then they can't do anything. So you just have to deal with it as far as I can see, and people that have purchased a $70 TP-Link has the same issue after a few weeks go by. I don't see why it would be a router problem, I have the same problem, and my router is only 1 year old and an upgraded boost router provided by my ISP. So it can't be that.

Perhaps turning off the TP-Link devices when not in use may stop bloating or something instead of letting it sit idle for hours, but I'm not sure. But if I were you, I would try getting a new router or an upgraded one. Might fix the problem.

I like working, playing videos games and listening to music. In my spare time I also love to read books. 

Always willing to learn new tech and improve my knowledge.