Fan Question.. Am I crazy?

Aruxx

I'm planning out a new PC build and I just wanted to know if an idea I had was crazy.  Currently I'm planning on a Meshify C case, and a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler (that's all that truly relates to the question), and I plan on overclocking the CPU.  My idea is to take the Noctua 140mm fans off of the D15, and mount them in the front of the case.  That would hide the notorious brown/tan fans that wouldn't fit my color scheme all to well, and I feel like with running them in 3-pin would intake a ton of air and not introduce a lot of noise.  Then I'd take the GP-12 120mm fan from the front of the case and mount it in single fan orientation on the Noctua.

It wouldn't have PWM support on the CPU, but I currently have a Fractal Design case and I can barely tell the case fans are even spinning.  The only part I'm worried about however is the performance on the side of CPU cooling.  Would the amount of cooling introduced into the case offset the cpu cooler I've downgraded to what is practically a NH-U12S?

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

6 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

I can barely tell the case fans are even spinning

If that's the case, then just leave the stock fans on front and leave the Noctua fans on the cooler

7 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

I've downgraded to what is practically a NH-U12S

I don't think that's true, even if you only use one fan the heat-sink size is a significant cooling factor. 

If best bang/buck silence is your priority, my personal recommendation is a dark rock 4 for cheaper (performs almost the same & looks better) and buy (with the now freed up budget) some 3rd party Bequiet or Noctua fans for your front intake. 

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

12 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

If best bang/buck silence is your priority, my personal recommendation is a dark rock 4 for cheaper (performs almost the same & looks better) and buy (with the now freed up budget) some 3rd party Bequiet or Noctua fans for your front intake. 

Would you not recommend the Dark Rock Pro 4 at the same price as the Noctua?  Is the performance over the non-Pro 4 insignificant?

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

What cpu and ram are you using?

If you're not planning to use the stock fans on the NH-D15, you might as well get a different cooler to begin with.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu and ram are you using?

If you're not planning to use the stock fans on the NH-D15, you might as well get a different cooler to begin with.

Not currently decided, this would be if I were to go with a 9600k and overclocking it a ways.  But that's what I'm coming to.

12 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

Not currently decided, this would be if I were to go with a 9600k and overclocking it a ways.  But that's what I'm coming to.

If you're not against a bit of white, the Macho Rev. B is a great alternative for oc'ing: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:57 PM, Aruxx said:

Would you not recommend the Dark Rock Pro 4 at the same price as the Noctua?  Is the performance over the non-Pro 4 insignificant?

I would not pretend it's insignificant. But a Dark Rock 4 + good case intake is better than a Dark Rock 4 pro + weak case intake (e.g 1x fan).

I tried to give a solution that doesnt make you have to spend more money than you originally planned. 

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !