Case fan placement

manta0604

Is having a rear case fan a necessity or can I have 2 top fans as the exhaust fans instead?

my case is a fractal design focus 6 and the components inside are standard, nothing crazy. would you say that 2 in the front and 2 top is good enough?

8 minutes ago, manta0604 said:

my case is a fractal design focus 6 and the components inside are standard, nothing crazy. would you say that 2 in the front and 2 top is good enough?

It might be, but I would rather go with a rear fan because heat is likely to concentrate over there due to the CPU VRM than where the front top fan is.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It might be, but I would rather go with a rear fan because heat is likely to concentrate over there due to the CPU VRM than where the front top fan is.

so how many exhaust fans should i use, where do you think they should be placed, and how fast should each fan spin 

Just now, manta0604 said:

so how many exhaust fans should i use, where do you think they should be placed, and how fast should each fan spin 

I don't know. It depends on the hardware, the use case, your comfort level with temperatures, and your tolerance to noise.

This is something you should experiment with yourself.

15 minutes ago, manta0604 said:

What are your specs and temps? The stock case fans are generally enough already.

It's Focus G btw. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

I don't know. It depends on the hardware, the use case, your comfort level with temperatures, and your tolerance to noise.

This is something you should experiment with yourself.

And finally is there a software you would recommend that would allow me to measure temps?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs and temps? The stock case fans are generally enough already.

It's Focus G btw. 

im getting the r5 3600x with the 5700 xt when the custom cards come out so i haven't built the thing yet and the case came with 2 front fans

24 minutes ago, manta0604 said:

im getting the r5 3600x with the 5700 xt when the custom cards come out so i haven't built the thing yet and the case came with 2 front fans

Adding two top exhausts should be plenty for most systems but I'd suggest planning later if you're still waiting for products to drop.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

From experience, you may see some dust coming in from rear. Other than that, if your CPU cooler exhausts towards those fans, everything is fine. I had that config on my previous case.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, manta0604 said:

Is having a rear case fan a necessity or can I have 2 top fans as the exhaust fans instead?

I think it's not really necessary, but why don't do it? I have 3 intakes in the front, 2 exhausts in the top and 1 in the back.

image.png

23 hours ago, TheTallGuy said:

I think it's not really necessary, but why don't do it? I have 3 intakes in the front, 2 exhausts in the top and 1 in the back.

image.png

The dust effect would be about same, but in different place than just leaving rear open...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv