Motherboard dead?

I bought an used Msi Z77MA-G45 with an i7 2600k and got it today, I hooked everything up and nothing happens, the fan doesnt spin and the psu doesnt even start, so I try different psu's, ram, my i5 2500k and nothing works, same problems and no beeps at all.

I have tried clearing cmos and I putted in a new battery in but i dont know if it works cuz nothing happens when I try to start it.

there was 2 bent pins in the socket that I bent back..

mobo dead. return it if possible.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, Zerkan said:

I bought an used Msi Z77MA-G45 with an i7 2600k and got it today, I hooked everything up and nothing happens, the fan doesnt spin and the psu doesnt even start, so I try different psu's, ram, my i5 2500k and nothing works, same problems and no beeps at all.

I have tried clearing cmos and I putted in a new battery in but i dont know if it works cuz nothing happens when I try to start it.

there was 2 bent pins in the socket that I bent back..

Pull everything out of mobo.

Plug in power, try to start it. If the board gets power, it'll at least beep at you

(EDIT)

Meaning, it's not completely bad.

If nothing happens, then yes, board is bad.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Do a min2post ( 1 dimm 1 cpu ) and test with known working PSU.

If it works add 1 part at a time

If it does not, return mainboard.

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Pull everything out of mobo.

Plug in power, try to start it. If the board gets power, it'll at least beep at you

(EDIT)

Meaning, it's not completely bad.

If nothing happens, then yes, board is bad.

5 minutes ago, Leanora said:

Do a min2post ( 1 dimm 1 cpu ) and test with known working PSU.

If it works add 1 part at a time

If it does not, return mainboard.

Ok, so ignore all the solutions that have been posted here so far because they have nothing to do with the most likely issue. 

The Z77 you purchased was originally intended to be used with 3rd gen intel chips. ie. i7-3770k etc. It will work with an i7-2600k, but you will need to make sure that it has received a bios update first as backwards compatibility wasn't originally an included feature. 

Ran into this issue with a P67 board when I was doing research on these two generations for the first time. See if you can find a really cheap 3rd gen and update the bios before returning. Check local shops etc. Those 2nd gen boards are becoming harder and harder to find. 

2 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

he Z77 you purchased was originally intended to be used with 3rd gen intel chips. ie. i7-3770k etc. It will work with an i7-2600k, but you will need to make sure that it has received a bios update first as backwards compatibility wasn't originally an included feature. 

Fair enough but you should still get power to the board yes?

It might not post or simply beep at you, but if I understand right, the OP isn't getting *anything* to the board....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Fair enough but you should still get power to the board yes?

It might not post or simply beep at you, but if I understand right, the OP isn't getting *anything* to the board....

Lst time I saw this happen with this gen, nothing happened.

You have to remember that not all boards back then had speakers or LEDs for debugging. Although, that board does have an onboard speaker. 

Also, the bios issue would explain why his 2500k wasn't working either. 

4 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

Ok, so ignore all the solutions that have been posted here so far because they have nothing to do with the most likely issue. 

The Z77 you purchased was originally intended to be used with 3rd gen intel chips. ie. i7-3770k etc. It will work with an i7-2600k, but you will need to make sure that it has received a bios update first as backwards compatibility wasn't originally an included feature. 

Ran into this issue with a P67 board when I was doing research on these two generations for the first time. See if you can find a really cheap 3rd gen and update the bios before returning. Check local shops etc. Those 2nd gen boards are becoming harder and harder to find. 

You would still get some signs of life, as in constant reboots or a crash at the get go.

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

Just now, Leanora said:

You would still get some signs of life, as in constant reboots or a crash at the get go.

Lol, no. Not at all. When you don't have a compatible CPU, it's basically the same as trying to boot with nothing in the socket.

2 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

Lst time I saw this happen with this gen, nothing happened.

As in no power to anything connected to the board?

Never seen that before. Not saying you are wrong, far from it, just never seen that.

Hence why I suggested pulling the CPU out, *something* should power on, LED lights, power to fans...something...

Just now, Mbowen said:

Lol, no. Not at all. When you don't have a compatible CPU, it's basically the same as trying to boot with nothing in the socket.

You also get signs of life when there is no cpu installed.  That or I am totally missremembering things and yes that might very well be the case. :S   Ah screw it, let's go with your answer :P

8 minutes ago, Leanora said:

You also get signs of life when there is no cpu installed.  That or I am totally missremembering things and yes that might very well be the case. :S   Ah screw it, let's go with your answer :P

"From my experience, it depends on the motherboard. Most motherboards that I've owned in the past would power on, but wouldn't POST. However, my X99 OC Formula wouldn't even power on without a CPU in place. No fans, no lights, nothing. I don't think I've ever had a motherboard generate a beep code when the CPU isn't installed."

Apparently it depends on the board. :/

I'd still suggest seeing if you can find a chip to update the bios with. 

I have an i5 3570k in my pc at dads place, I will try it tomorrow 

6 minutes ago, Zerkan said:

thanks for helping out :)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

the guy told me he had the same cpu in for 3 years straight tho

1 hour ago, Mbowen said:

1 hour ago, Leanora said:

yep, this is why ASUS was able to add BIOS flashback. The board will still work without a CPU, it just won't complete POST.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

1 minute ago, BleachedFur said:

yep, this is why ASUS was able to add BIOS flashback. The board will still work without a CPU, it just won't complete POST.

When was it added though? Cause if memory serves me 2/3 gen was ~2013?

1 hour ago, Mbowen said:

When was it added though? Cause if memory serves me 2/3 gen was ~2013?

ASUS Flashback was added in Sandy Bridge WS/HEDT motherboards.

Doesn't change anything though, you're still wrong. The motherboard will still indicate that it is receiving 5v standby current as most motherboards from LGA775 and earlier have motherbard LEDs that indicate that standby voltage is present.

For example a basic Optiplex motherboard, even without a CPU or RAM, will still "power on" and beep at you to indicate that there is no CPU installed and that there is no RAM.

Even laptops will do this.

Motherboards have ALWAYS had the ability to receive power from the PSU regardless of whether or not a CPU is installed, and whoever told you that was not the case should be executed immediately because it is an inherently false statement and will cause problems for a lot of people if spread around.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.