Aux Cable shows 1Gbps but no internet

Gautam.Dey

So, we have this Access Point all over our dorm and these are great. I wanted to connect LAN from the AUX port of this Access Point to my PC so that I could get a stable connection for gaming. But upon connecting to the AUX cable to my PC all my PC can detect is 1Gbps connection and the network stays as Unidentified Network. I've tried removing and reinstalling the RJ-45 but results were the same. I though there might be something wrong with my LAN cable so I removed the RJ-45 connected to the Access Point's AUX cable and inserted it to the main port from where these Access Points were connected and viola I have internet via LAN on my PC so I unpluged and reconnected the Access Point's RJ-45 and tried hoping that somehow reconnecting all would resolve it, but nothing changed still I have no internet.

So I wanna know what could be the reason that the AUX port isn't working apart from showing 1Gbps connection.

P.S. - Our hostel changed and I used to do the same in my other hostel and it used to work without any hassle. But now I don't know what could be the reason that the same thing isn't working.

Please help me resolve it.

Thanks.

cisco-air-cap1702i-k9-1700-series_1_af63AIR-CAP1702I-A-K9_Wireless_Access_Point_

Just now, kostas0176 said:

Check your dns settings

How to do that? Do I need to access the configuration of the Access point?

Internet works fine if I connect the LAN cable directly to the LAN box from where the Access point is connected.  

Sorry, i just noticed that this was an AP and not a modem, if you have a lan cable plugging in the AP then plug that in your pc, the AP uses the lan for wifi, you cannot use the APs lan ports for internet unless the AP was configured that way, which most aren't

It's an access point, not a switch. The PoE port is used to supply Ethernet and power to the access point. AUX port is used to supply additional Ethernet, should you not get enough from one port. It does not act like a switch, that one port takes in Ethernet and other one(s) give it out.

There is no network configured for the second port, AP is designed to be a client to the network. Not distribute it further.

tl;dr - nope, doesn't work that way. find another way.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

But in the other hostel we have the same AP and connecting through this was working. But now it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

But in the other hostel we have the same AP and connecting through this was working. But now it isn't.

It may have being used as a repeater instead of an AP

4 minutes ago, kostas0176 said:

It may have being used as a repeater instead of an AP

Is there a way I can change that somehow, without disrupting the SSID broadcast and WIFI signal?

Just now, Gautam.Dey said:

Is there a way I can change that somehow, without disrupting the SSID broadcast and WIFI signal?

No

1 minute ago, kostas0176 said:

No

I wonder how it was working in the hostels? The SSID and WIFI were working fine and so was the LAN from the AUX

They probably disabled the Aux port on those APs at the current hostel.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

They probably disabled the Aux port on those APs at the current hostel.

But how come it shows a connectivity of 1Gbps? If it's disabled there should've never been a connectivity.

2 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

But how come it shows a connectivity of 1Gbps? If it's disabled there should've never been a connectivity.

By disabled I should have been more clear and said they either put them into a VLAN that doesn't have internet access on purpose or they didn't configure them properly and are in a default VLAN which doesn't have internet access. Either way, the old hostel probably configured them and this current one hasn't, basically rendering them "disabled" for lack of a better term.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

By disabled I should have been more clear and said they either put them into a VLAN that doesn't have internet access on purpose or they didn't configure them properly and are in a default VLAN which doesn't have internet access. Either way, the old hostel probably configured them and this current one hasn't, basically rendering them "disabled" for lack of a better term.

Can I reconfigure the AP??? So that the AUX port have internet access and rest of the current configuration stays the same. I can manually access the AP it's close to my room.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, when I disconnect the AP from the LAN box and reconnect it, the LED turns white for a few seconds (maybe configuring itself or something I don't know), so in these initial few seconds I can access internet via LAN on my PC but then the AP's LED turns green and then blue (when someone connects to the AP) and the internet connectivity is gone. I can't access internet anymore.

36 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

Can I reconfigure the AP??? So that the AUX port have internet access and rest of the current configuration stays the same. I can manually access the AP it's close to my room.

Nope, you'd need to do so from the controller itself which basically means you need to ask them to do it or find an alternative.

32 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, when I disconnect the AP from the LAN box and reconnect it, the LED turns white for a few seconds (maybe configuring itself or something I don't know), so in these initial few seconds I can access internet via LAN on my PC but then the AP's LED turns green and then blue (when someone connects to the AP) and the internet connectivity is gone. I can't access internet anymore.

The AP is downloading it's configuration from the controller during that time, once it's fully configured then it's probably placed into a VLAN with no internet access on that port.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well seems like I'm not in luck with this one.

Thanks everyone for your valuable time.