Upgrading system for machine learning

I want to get into machine learning and I'm wondering how to upgrade my current system with a $600 USD budget to optimize it for machine learning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Athlon X4 860K 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $63.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9x65 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $50.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (Purchased For $63.00)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury White 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $38.00)
Storage: Seagate - 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $67.00)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon R9 380 2 GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (Purchased For $160.00)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $65.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $56.00)
Custom: MicroCenter 240GB SSD (Purchased For $20.00)
Total: $582.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 23:56 EDT-0400

what os? What programs and frameworks are you using?

Probably get a midrange nvidia gpu,

Also id probably upgrade the cpu as the current one is getting a bit slow and old.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what os? What programs and frameworks are you using?

Probably get a midrange nvidia gpu,

Also id probably upgrade the cpu as the current one is getting a bit slow and old.

ubuntu and I'd be using tensor flow. Is a 1660 ti enough or should I go for a 2060?

1 minute ago, Hulkbert said:

ubuntu and I'd be using tensor flow. Is a 1660 ti enough or should I go for a 2060?

have you tried it with the opencl version on your current gpu?

Really depends on how much you want to spend, there are plenty of numbers out there about the performance differences.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

have you tried it with the opencl version on your current gpu?

Really depends on how much you want to spend, there are plenty of numbers out there about the performance differences.

Good point, haven't thought of that. I kinda just want something to get started with. So if the 1660 ti is enough then it's good enough for me.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Good point, haven't thought of that. I kinda just want something to get started with. So if the 1660 ti is enough then it's good enough for me.

your current system is more than enough to start out with. I wouldn't buy hardware until you got the basics down.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your current system is more than enough to start out with. I wouldn't buy hardware until you got the basics down.

Gotcha. Thank you for the suggestions. Still open to suggestions for when I'll need to upgrade later down the road though.