Charge Limiting Phone Charger

I am looking for a hardware device designed to stop charging your phone at a certain percentage level. There are countless apps on the play store to tell you to unplug your phone when its fully charged but I like to charge my phone over night and to wake up just to unplug my phone is stupid. I know its possible by rooting android but I have a Galaxy S10+ Snapdragon version and there are currently no ways to root it.

It's impossible for a charger to cut off charging to the phone unless the phone is reporting something back to the charger or you have a charger that can somehow cut off charging after delivering X amount of mAH of charge (which you'd have to calculate so...). Unless you find a charger like that, you're either going to have to make sure to charge it enough before you go to bed (my S10+ loses like 3-4% overnight) or do it via in the phone itself.

There really isnt any way without rooting or having some sort of feature that keeps it at a certain percentage. My Moto G and Z lasted amazingly because the G was rooted and only allowed to charge to 80% while my Z's battery mod only let it stay at 80%

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, 5Beans6 said:

I am looking for a hardware device designed to stop charging your phone at a certain percentage level. There are countless apps on the play store to tell you to unplug your phone when its fully charged but I like to charge my phone over night and to wake up just to unplug my phone is stupid. I know its possible by rooting android but I have a Galaxy S10+ Snapdragon version and there are currently no ways to root it.

I don't know of anything that'll do what you're asking, but why are you after such a piece of technology? If you're worried about overcharging, your S10+ slows to a trickle as it nears 100% and stops receiving a charge after it does hit a 100% so your battery doesn't degrade. It's not perfect but having your phone plugged in overnight is not near the detriment it used to be even just a few years ago. But then again maybe you're after this for a different reason so why you looking?

On 7/8/2019 at 12:07 PM, huilun02 said:

IFTTT/Tasker with a smart plug << go down the rabbit hole

I knows its possible but never done it before. Never used a smart plug, IFTTT or Tasker. I only use custom OS and rooted phones.

If the smart plug has a companion app, be sure to check reviews for shady app permission requirements.

Another possible solution is a self programmable plug that shuts off once the power draw falls below a set threshold. It will be triggered by the low power draw when trickle charging begins. Although I do not know of such a smart plug exists.

Now that I have pointed you in the right direction, good luck! I'm out

Hi sorry im responding so late, I made this post late at night and honestly forgot I made it haha!

Thanks for the recommendation to use IFTTT and a smart plug I never thought of doing that!