Would you upgrade if you were me?

Hey guys, I'm at a crossroads as far as my PC goes and I need a helpful  nudge in either direction.

My dilemma comes down to wether or not the cost of upgrading is worth it for my use case and what would you guys do in my shoes.

First off let's start with current PC specs:

Corsair RM650x Gold rated PSU 650W

ASUS Z270-a board

2x8 HyperX 2400mhz

6700k @ 4.5 ghz

MSI Gaming X 1080ti

3x Kingston UV400 240GB SSDs

Monitor1 : Predator XB1 - 2560x1440 144hz

Monitor2 : Samsung CF34 - 3440x1440 100hz

My setup is arranged in a way where the Acer is my main monitor as it is higher refresh rate and overall better for gaming and my Samsung is the secondary.

What I basically use my computer for is:

1.Playing games at 2560x1440 at 144hz - I'm yet to feel some big bottleneck from my CPU but correct me if I'm wrong.

2.Keeping Chrome with 4-5 tabs open on second monitor + discord + spotify +viber. This also has worked out for me pretty well

3. Occasional stream/ recording my gameplay, but I use Nvenc for that so there is no CPU issue here.

4. This is more hypothetical but let's say I want to throw in a compilation of my gameplay together in Adobe Premier at 1080p. Would my CPU be enough to do that while browsing the web/ watching video?

What I am thinking of upgrading to:

Either 9900k + board + cooler that  would set me back around 950-1100USD when converted to my currency depending on choices.

Or Ryzen 3900x  + new Ryzen board + 32GB of fast memory and new cooler that would set me back more like 2000 USD which is getting quite expensive at this point. Also not sure if PSU will be enough.

I know I'm going to get a lot of answers that consist of " well it depends on wether or not you think it's worth it" but I want to ask your opinions and what would YOU do in my situation.

Would upgrading to either one of these CPU's give me signifficant improvements in any of my use  cases? Would I FEEL the difference and if so would I feel it more than my pocket getting 1000/2000$ lighter.

I watched a lot of benchmarks this past few days and I am yet to see something that blows me away even with my old Skylake CPU that's supposed to be antiquated at this point.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

1.Playing games at 2560x1440 at 144hz - I'm yet to feel some big bottleneck from my CPU but correct me if I'm wrong.

The more important question to answer is if your setup is meeting your performance targets or not. If you demand 2560x1440 144FPS all the time, then yes, there are games where the i7-6700K, even with an overclock, will not provide.

2 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

4. This is more hypothetical but let's say I want to throw in a compilation of my gameplay together in Adobe Premier at 1080p. Would my CPU be enough to do that while browsing the web/ watching video?

Are you satisfied with the time it takes to crunch those videos?

I can't really answer the question "if you were me..." because I'm not you. You have your performance requirements, I have mine. Figure out what you want first, otherwise you'll just have too many chefs trying to make the soup.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

The more important question to answer is if your setup is meeting your performance targets or not. If you demand 2560x1440 144FPS all the time, then yes, there are games where the i7-6700K, even with an overclock, will not provide.

Are you satisfied with the time it takes to crunch those videos?

I can't really answer the question "if you were me..." because I'm not you. You have your performance requirements, I have mine. Figure out what you want first, otherwise you'll just have too many chefs trying to make the soup.

Obviously I'm not getting 144FPS in every game  but as far as benchmarks show, the biggest differences in FPS come from 1080p gaming. When playing games my GPU is almost always in the 90%+ usage percentile.

As far as time constraint, I'm not in a hurry for a video to render, I was just wondering if I will be able to use my PC for normal tasks while rendering cuz I've not used Premier in a long while and I kinda don't want to but the subscription with 0 knowledge of how intensive it will be on my computer, but I guess that's the only way.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Tanaz said:

As far as time constraint, I'm not in a hurry for a video to render, I was just wondering if I will be able to use my PC for normal tasks while rendering cuz I've not used Premier in a long while and I kinda don't want to but the subscription with 0 knowledge of how intensive it will be on my computer, but I guess that's the only way.

Modern OSes are advanced enough these days to prioritize tasks so that everything gets to run if they need to run. Doing something else while the video is rendering just makes it take longer.

16 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

I watched a lot of benchmarks this past few days and I am yet to see something that blows me away even with my old Skylake CPU that's supposed to be antiquated at this point.

you pretty much answered your own question.

16 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

I'm yet to feel some big bottleneck from my CPU but correct me if I'm wrong.

If performance meets your standards, don't upgrade, simple as that. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I guess this is more of a psychological thing. I want the " new shiny thing " without actually NEEDING it. Thank god I'm not a lottery winner, pretty sure I'd be one of those people that go bankrupt in a month lol.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent