PC won't post anymore!

*SPECS AT THE BOTTOM*

I had just finished messing with mods in Grand Theft Auto V, and while I was in File Explorer, my entire computer froze. I waited 5 minutes and nothing happened, leaving me with no choice but to hold the power button down, which is very unsafe. When I turned it back on, it didn't post. All of the lights and fans were on in the system, but no display. So, I left it alone for an hour or so, and it did post. However, the Windows boot circle that spins on the motherboard screen only made half a circle before it froze again. At that point, I thought that my copy of Windows got corrupted somehow, so I tried to boot to my Windows UEFI USB drive. It did the exact same thing. Then, I turned my power supply off and let it sit overnight. When I woke up this morning, I turned the power supply back on, and pressed the power button. Everything still lit up and the fans started spinning on every component that has one. Unfortunately, it didn't post at all. It would be a different story if the computer at least gave me some sort of error message when it did post, but no; it just froze every time. I don't know what the issue could be, and I don't want to risk buying a new motherboard or boot drive for it to do the same thing. I didn't have any viruses, none of my parts went above 60% usage and my temps peaked at 55 degrees celsius. Any advice would be appreciated. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (w\ Stock Cooler)

GPU: AsRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX 580 8GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2X8)

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W Modular

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H Micro ATX

Boot Drive: Corsair Force MP300 120GB M.2 SSD

Secondary Drive: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 7200RPM HDD

Case: Cooler Master MaterBox Q300L (dust filters are off during usage for better temps)

4 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W Modular

Does sound like the PSU is acting up.

Not suprising considering how bad this unit is from what i know. 

Tier: "dont buy" on the tierlist.

6 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H Micro ATX

That or this mobo which didnt like being with the bad PSU.

Regardless of what the issue actually is. Swap the PSU to a cx450 (2017) or cx550

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Swap the PSU to a cx450 (2017) or cx550

Would an EVGA PSU be alright, like a 450BT? I only have $50 at the moment, and I need this PC for schoolwork.

oof, originally your posting issues sounded like a corrupted boot sector. I would suggest seeing if you can fins a good "test" psu for cheap locally and try switching them out to test GoldenLag's theory. 

Unfortunately when your machine can't even post it makes it really difficult to diagnose the issue. Usually though in this case there is a hardware problem. The PSU is the most likely culprit  right now because of the varying functionality of all the other parts. If I were you though, I would ask another friend that is local to help you test components to narrow it down. Basically start disassembling your machine and building it on another mobo/cpu and psu just to cross check your components. 

I have to agree with @GoldenLag above, it sounds like a defective power unit, or another component being affected by it.

Only testing will give you the definite answer tho, like @Mbowen said, try and see if you can find a 'donor' system to test all your components in.

Buying replacement parts is ofcourse another option. But that is how i ended up with a 2nd computer when i tried building my first ever (this was about 20 years ago)

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Thanks, you guys have helped a lot! I'll see if I can get my hands on a donor system and go from there.

7 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

Would an EVGA PSU be alright, like a 450BT? I only have $50 at the moment, and I need this PC for schoolwork.

I would say in a pinch for testing/temp use that will be fine. Your system as listed is pulling 379w on load as you have it listed. 500w would be a safer bet.

9 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

I cannot find the 450BT on the list here on the forum, but i geuss it is a means to an end. 

Theoretically it should work, for a while.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

45 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

If you have 50$.

Get a cx450 

Its roughly 50$. Avoid the BT.

6 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

I would say in a pinch for testing/temp use that will be fine. Your system as listed is pulling 379w on load as you have it listed. 500w would be a safer bet.

Literally nothing ti do with power.

Judging by your power figure you used a PSU calculators. Which are wellknown to be inaccurate.

450 watts is more than enough. 

Also its about quality, not the wattage.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

If you have 50$.

Get a cx450 

Its roughly 60$. Avoid the BT.

I would say the CX line is... scary to me. I've had a ton of people come to me with dead systems because of those PSUs. I'd almost just say look for another rosewill at that point but it's been a LONG time since I bought one of those so I wouldn't be able to comment on their quality. 

I did however just build 8 systems with that same line of EVGA PSU. Do what you can with what you can afford. I haven't seen any issues with those 8 PCs and they've been running stress tests for 3 days. 

1 minute ago, Overlandr said:

I use the 500BT in my NAS as it was on sale for £28 and it works well so far and I have had it 6 months or so.

"It works for me" is the worst argument for hardware.

Especially PSUs that are supposed to be fitted with safety features like OCP to not kill your system if something goes wrong, or the PSU should at any point die. 

@Mbowen I found a EVGA 500W1 for $50 on Amazon, if I include sales tax. That might be my way to go because I don't know anybody that has a system even close to mine performance wise.

Just now, gabemusicrva said:

@Mbowen I found a EVGA 500W1 for $50 on Amazon, if I include sales tax. That might be my way to go because I don't know anybody that has a system even close to mine performance wise.

It's tempting to buy something because of a brand name, I know. But 80+ White rated PSUs are trash of the lowest order. They pretty much only make sense if you're sticking them into grandma's OEM that she plays freecell on. 

Do you want me to look for a better buy for you? 

6 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

would say the CX line is... scary to me. I've had a ton of people come to me with dead systems because of those PSUs. I'd almost just say look for another rosewill at that point but it's been a LONG time since I bought one of those so I wouldn't be able to comment on their quality

Cx greylabel (2017) are great PSUs. 

They have all the neccesary protections in place and overall fantastic units. 

You can be safe buying those. 

Older CX wasnt all that great

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

"It works for me" is the worst argument for hardware.

Especially PSUs that are supposed to be fitted with safety features like OCP to not kill your system if something goes wrong, or the PSU should at any point die. 

Looking at the specs of the EVGA 500B which is the correct name, I miss remembered, it does have OCP and all that jazz. Although I do get your point, it is a sample size of one.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Cx greylabel (2017) are great PSUs. 

They have all the neccesary protections in place and overall fantastic units. 

You can be safe buying those. 

Older CX wasnt all that great

See, that's the kind of information that I love to see. If he's had experience with them and recommend that then go for it. I haven't had to buy a PSU since 2016 so I'm a little jaded at the term "CX".

14 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

See, that's the kind of information that I love to see. If he's had experience with them and recommend that then go for it. I haven't had to buy a PSU since 2016 so I'm a little jaded at the term "CX".

I believe orange label os on the "dont buy" tier of the PSU list. Graylabel is quite far up the list. Its effiency is practically silver rated, however efficiency doesnt tell you about the quality. Tho the cx greylabel is good. 

24 minutes ago, gabemusicrva said:

Sorry the cx 450 is 50$. I misstyped earlier.

Much better choice iirc. 

19 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

Looking at the specs of the EVGA 500B which is the correct name, I miss remembered, it does have OCP and all that jazz. Although I do get your point, it is a sample size of one.

Iirc EVGA B series isnt that great either. 

I would need to dpublecheck with the tierlist

Edit: doublechecked. Seems to be "dont buy" tier

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought a CX450 2017 and my computer is doing the same thing. I took out my ssd and tried installing Windows on my hard drive, but I couldn't even do that. I don't know which part is acting up at this point. Like I said in my first post, everything works and I can access the bios. Its just when it gets to the windows loading circle, it freezes and I have to switch the power supply off to shut it down. I will note that when I exit the bios, the system won't restart and I have to let it sit for a half an hour before it will post again.