I7-3770k VS. I7 4820k

Ryan.L

so I've been wondering for a while if I should get a I7 3770K which is on my current platform (1155) or get a new MOBO and a 4820K. is it worth it to get a new MOBO and CPU or should i just stay on my platform and get the 3770K?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @4.8GHZ COOLER: Corsair H100 | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT| GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti SC 2way SLI | RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB (8GB) | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX

| SSD: Intel 520 (120GB)HDD: WD Red 3TB | PSU: Corsair TX850M | Case: Corsair 750D  | Display #1: Samsung S24b350HL | Display #2: Acer Al1916W

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: AudioTechnica AD700X

Youd be losing alot of money by having the buy a new motherboard. The extra money you are spending on a motherboard is not worth the extra performance of a 4820k.

Since you would have to spend a lot of money on a new motherboard and what not, I would probably wait it out for Haswell-E and see how that goes down.

Your current cpu doesn't need to be upgraded, but I would just go with the 3770k if you NEED to upgrade

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

so I've been wondering for a while if I should get a I7 3770K which is on my current platform (1155) or get a new MOBO and a 4820K. is it worth it to get a new MOBO and CPU or should i just stay on my platform and get the 3770K?

Considering you have a really good cpu as it stands, I would wait for hasewell, unless you need the extra pci bus or the 4820k platform. Plus haswell will probably beat the 4820k, just a hunch. Or if you do very heavy 3d work, or photo editing and really need the 64gb or ram, I would say wait.

Mouse: Razer Death Adder 2013 Keybaord: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013

Why would you upgrade to an i7? Pretty much no gains for gaming.

I always here people say that but in all honesty, an i7 is better for gaming. But it is such a slim difference that people just stick to i5 because they are cheaper. And he never said it was an upgrade for gaming performance. There are many other things it could help improve. A lot games now a days have different things you might want a more powerful CPU for. They don't need to be directly within the game but extensions to the game that might need more horsepower if you catch my drift. 

I always here people say that but in all honesty, an i7 is better for gaming. But it is such a slim difference that people just stick to i5 because they are cheaper. And he never said it was an upgrade for gaming performance. There are many other things it could help improve. A lot games now a days have different things you might want a more powerful CPU for. They don't need to be directly within the game but extensions to the game that might need more horsepower if you catch my drift. 

Ermz an i7 is atm only better in BF4 but complety depends on which gpu's you use. Something like a gtx 650 don't expect a difference. An i7 will be at its best 15% better so it isnt worth the 100$ and complety a waste of money over an i5. For gaming purposes it's a stupid choice and in my opinion I wouldn't pay 100$ more just for 15-20% more multithreading performance.

Ermz an i7 is atm only better in BF4 but complety depends on which gpu's you use. Something like a gtx 650 don't expect a difference. An i7 will be at its best 15% better so it isnt worth the 100$ and complety a waste of money over an i5. For gaming purposes it's a stupid choice and in my opinion I wouldn't pay 100$ more just for 15-20% more multithreading performance.

You basically repeated what I said. i7 is better, not much for gaming, but it is. and it cost more. So since he didn't say anything about gaming you cant really assume he is upgrading because he wants a boost in gaming performance.

You would have to get a new motherboard to go with Haswell, but remember that if you get a 1155 socket chip, you are spending money on what will be a dead platform.  If you are ok not always having the latest, then you could save yourself the money.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I would wait and then buy a new rig. I usually try to sell old stuff that I don't need anymore.

Even outside of gaming, the i7 is at best only moderately better than the i5. It's not much of an upgrade.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if just gaming stick with your current pc, unless you want more threads or cores for productivity or even multi gpu set-up, best choice is LGA-2011 and upcoming haswell-E

Processor: Intel Core i7 4930k Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Gene Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz* Cooling: H100i & Antec 920

SSD: Corsair GT 120GB Graphics Card: Asus GTX670* (waiting on maxwell ;)) Case: Aurora Velocity PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650w 80+ Platinum

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Monitor: 24" BenQ RL2450HT  http://valid.canardpc.com/l7h5ft Nokia Lumia 1020  :D 

Even outside of gaming, the i7 is at best only moderately better than the i5. It's not much of an upgrade.

Of course when it comes to something like 3D rendering were it is actually able to leverage more than 2-3 cores and can utilize hyper-threading, i7 is by far the way to go. at least the higher end models ie. extreme editions.

People don't game 24/7 on their machines. i7 with it's HT is very good for video editing, 3D rendering or basic heavy multi-tasking.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

You already have a 3570K. Keep it.

If you want to throw money away that badly then get a 780ti OC etc... At least it will have extra performance to show for, unlike a new CPU.

People don't game 24/7 on their machines. i7 with it's HT is very good for video editing, 3D rendering or basic heavy multi-tasking.

Think about the 15-20% boost HT gives and come again. It's not going to be a lifesaver at all, waiting a few more seconds or a few more minutes is not a big deal - you'll be waiting anyways in the end with both cpu's. It's just pointless to sell a 3570k with for 150$ (50$ loss) and waste another 150$ for a 3770k. So 200$ wasted for zero gaming performance and a tiny bit more performance for video editing stuff doesn't seem to me a smart choice.

Anyways that's my opinion, choice is in the OP's hands.