Fix unwanted metallic spacebar sound?

Damdatfam

I just bought a new G512 and the keyboard I got seemed to have a slightly broken spacebar. Pressing it on one side produces a normal sound while on the other side, it sounds very loud and metallic.

Taking off the spacebar, I could see that the supports on the keyboard on the right side seems to be very very loose and is causing the metallic sound (there's a metal support under the support pegs).

How do I dampen this problem? Should I just ask for a replacement?

IMG_20190704_223549.jpg

4 minutes ago, Damdatfam said:

I just bought a new G512 and the keyboard I got seemed to have a slightly broken spacebar. Pressing it on one side produces a normal sound while on the other side, it sounds very loud and metallic.

Taking off the spacebar, I could see that the supports on the keyboard on the right side seems to be very very loose and is causing the metallic sound (there's a metal support under the support pegs).

How do I dampen this problem? Should I just ask for a replacement?

That sound is very normal for the Romer G switch Keyboards. I had a G413 that had the same sound. You can lube up the stabilizers but it might not help very much as they are probably a non cherry stabilizer.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

10 minutes ago, KingCry said:

That sound is very normal for the Romer G switch Keyboards. I had a G413 that had the same sound. You can lube up the stabilizers but it might not help very much as they are probably a non cherry stabilizer.

Ah ok, I see. It was just that the noise was very obnoxious. I've managed to dampen the sound somewhat by surrounding the support with paper, but the metallic clunk is still there.

Lubing the stabilizer will help aliveat it somewhat, however it won't fix it entirely. This is caused by the metal wire being asymmetrical. The 2 bent end of the wire are not bent to the same angle. The ultimate fix would be to disassemble it and bend the wire to be more even.