Ideas to get back into coding

L0m
Go to solution Solved by vorticalbox,

What are you long term goals for programming?

This will ultimately answer what you should focus on next :) in the mean time it will worth it to start looking into programming paradigms and also database / API interaction.

Threading and multi processing are also good to learn in python.

And depending on what your answer to my question is maybe a whole new language.

Hey everyone,

I'm a fairly beginner level python programmer (check my few projects out here) and am wondering what I should work on next. Any ideas?

I'm a python programmer and I play trombone

What are you long term goals for programming?

This will ultimately answer what you should focus on next :) in the mean time it will worth it to start looking into programming paradigms and also database / API interaction.

Threading and multi processing are also good to learn in python.

And depending on what your answer to my question is maybe a whole new language.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Thanks vorticalbox, I started programming for fun, to solve problems that I didn't know how to fix and to join a bigger community (It also helps show off but that's neither here nor there ?) . I will start looking at your suggested areas and hopefully I progress further.

7 hours ago, L0m said:

Thanks vorticalbox, I started programming for fun, to solve problems that I didn't know how to fix and to join a bigger community (It also helps show off but that's neither here nor there ?) . I will start looking at your suggested areas and hopefully I progress further.

be sure to really think about what you what your end goal is and then work out what you need for to achieve that else you're going to get bored real quick.

A good place to get involved is in open source software or project on git hub :) 

I have a few no long updated projects on my GitHub a proxy scraper and CPU benchmark that need some love :) the latter has a problem with memory usage if you want to fix that :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

be sure to really think about what you what your end goal is and then work out what you need for to achieve that else you're going to get bored real quick.

A good place to get involved is in open source software or project on git hub :) 

I have a few no long updated projects on my GitHub a proxy scraper and CPU benchmark that need some love :) the latter has a problem with memory usage if you want to fix that :P

I don’t know if I’m up for it but I’ll try my best

On 7/4/2019 at 5:29 AM, L0m said:

am wondering what I should work on next

Try C.

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

Try C.

I would more point to C++, or in preference to either of those C# or Java. C is good to know, and I'm certainly not discouraging the idea of trying it out regardless of prior programming experience, but it's not exactly the language I'd suggest someone jump at first, both due to difficulty and utility.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Which part of C's universal utility does not suit your assumptions?

Write in C.

3 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Which part of C's universal utility does not suit your assumptions?

Huh? C offers great efficiency and performance, but it's less approachable and more demanding of the programmer's understanding of the lower-level workings of the computer than .NET and JVM languages, to say nothing about portability and popularity.

Like I said, it's not that C isn't useful, I just don't think someone just getting into other programming languages will benefit from C as much as C# or Java.

And, really, I think the more abstracted way of thinking encouraged by object oriented or functional languages is more valuable than the performance advantage of lower-level imperative languages in general unless performance is a key issue for what you're doing.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.