GPU for i7 3770

edar

Hi guys,

(sorry for my English, I'm not a fluent speaker...)

I want to buy a new GPU, mainly for 1440p gaming. My system is i7 3770(old, I know), 16 GB ddr3 ram and Sandisk ssd on a DZ77SL-50K board. I currently have a gtx 660.
I'm planning to upgrade the entire system excluding the gpu in about a year or 2.

The 3 options I consider are the 1660ti, rtx 2060 and rtx 2070.

I have 2 main questions:

1) Can I play at a descent frame rate at 1440p with the cards I've mentioned and the system I have?

2) Would the graphics cards be relevant for my future system? I don't want to pay a lot for a gpu which will be irrelevant in a couple of years...

Other than these questions, I'd be happy for some tips regarding my situation, cause I'm a pretty noob at pc building.

Thanks ?

the 2060 is a solid 1440p card, go for it.

But, new AMD products hit store shelves 7/7, which is sunday. If you can wait for that, it's preferable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would wait. AMD will be launching new RX 5000 series GPUs on July 7th. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Hi Edar, welcome

The GPU is always the part that gets replaced first.  It's where technology still advances the most. 

All 3 of those cards should be good options for the next couple of years.  Don't be surprised if you buy one of them and then find out that it doesn't go to 100% load, the 3770 is indeed quite old and may not be able to keep up with modern GPUs.

As the others said, AMD is releasing new GPUs on the 7th.  Wait for people to review those.     It may give you other options or cause Nvidia to lower some prices in the near future.

Oh, and don't worry about your English, it's better than quite a few of the UK and US-based members.

By decent framerate you mean 60fps then you should have no problem with all of those GPUs with 1660 Ti probably need to lower graphic setting by a notch or 2.

Rumored 2060 super come with 8GB Vram, I suggest wait for it since 6GB is considered bare minimum for midrange gpu nowadays. 

Since you have z77 mainboard, try overclock and undervolt your cpu for more performance if you have adequate cpu cooling. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I had a 3770k with a 1080 up til just about two weeks ago. It was overclocked at 4.1 but the GPU load was ALWAYS higher than the CPU load. At higher rez, CPU matter far less, so at 1440, I think you should go with 2070 which is similar to 1080 in performance AFAIK.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W