144Hz vs 240Hz

Dr. FunFrock

So just one thing before I get started. I have never owned a gaming monitor with a high refresh rate, and tbh I barely have seen one or two in action many years ago. I mostly play simulators or RTS games and for that purpose my 4k 60Hz monitor has served me very well.

But recently I started playing a few first person shooters and when seeing the recent LTT video with a 240vs60Hz comparison I was quite tempted to try one for myself. The thing is, 240Hz monitors are a bit expansive. Not absolutely out of my budget but it makes me wonder if it is really smart for me to buy one. 

I currently play on a GTX 1080 and i7 5820k with 24GBs of DDR4, SSDs, all the good stuff. I manage to maintain 60fps with decent graphics settings in most games I play, but I suspect that I may not maintain or even go around 240Hz in 1080p just because there are 4 times less pixels on screen... I can get a 144Hz monitor for about half the price of a 240Hz one so I'm hesitating, especially if my system may not be able to push that many fps...

So I have a couple questions :

- I guess 240Hz vs 60 makes a big difference, but what about 240Hz vs 144 for someone who is definitely not a pro player ?

- Given that it'll be a secondary monitor and that I'll keep my 4K monitor for work and some other games, I'm not buying a super expansive high end gaming monitor. So, is it even worth it to buy a low-end gaming monitor ?

- Currently I don't have a G-Sync compatible monitor, is it super important at high refresh rates ?

- If I buy a 144Hz will it still make a big difference with my current 60 or will I instantly regret it and think that I should have gone all the way to 240Hz ?

If you guys can't answer these questions very specifically but can just share some feedback on your personnal experience, you are very welcome to do so.

Thanks in advance and happy gaming  :)

I’ve never seen a 240, but I’ve seen 60, 75, and 144. 75 and 144 are both much better than 60, but the difference between 75 and 144 isn’t nearly as large as the number difference makes it seem. I presume the difference between 240 and 144 is similar. I would just get 144 because a 1080 can’t get 240 FPS anyways.

G-sync is important if you can’t hold a steady 144hz. If you’re constantly at 144 FPS it doesn’t really matter, but most rigs can’t so I would say yes, it is useful.

I can't personally see any noticable difference between 240Hz and 144Hz. I currently use a 144Hz monitor but i have tried 240Hz.

I think you should buy a 144Hz monitor for FPS and similar games but use the 4K monitor for work and other games.

G-Sync is nice thing to have but you will notice it most if you cant keep the framerate steady at the same as the monitors refresh rate.

144Hz is a HUGE difference to 60Hz and you will not regret it. If you have a lot of cash to throw around you might want to get 240Hz monitor but if not you will not regret you got a 144Hz monitor istead of an 240Hz one.

Okay got it, thanks a lot for the quick replies, I think I'll go with 144Hz and save a couple hundred dollars then.

Only get 240hz monitor if you are just going to play easy to run games like csgo or overwatch and have the computer power to push consistant 240+ frames. If not just get a 144hz monitors. More then suffice

Currently using a 120, 144 and 240. Though the res is different one the 144, gaming feels way better the higher it goes up. Using a gtx 1080 on the mall too but obviously it isn't gonna hit 240 but stays in the 160-180 range on the game I play. I think the 144hz is a great sweet spot but I couldn't get one in 1080p at the time. Id get the highest I could at the best price assuming they all have the same features you care about. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

For you and your specs, get 144Hz though. There are cheap 240Hz Freesync displays but yeah. You'll be more than fine with 144Hz and it will be a big upgrade over 60fps. Also you can get better panel and higher resolution. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |