[Troubleshoot] Wifi is 10% speed of Ethernet.

I just upgraded to Gigablast from Cox because we cancelled cable and went full streaming. I bought a new Netgear CM1000 router and a TP-Link AC1750 (Archer A7) gigabit router to handle the speeds.

Everything was set up and Cox was contacted to add the modem to the active list. I set up the router and everything seemed fine until I tried the speed tests over WiFi (Speedtest.net and Cox's own speed test) 

My Win10 laptop maxes out at 70 Mbps, my phone hits 20, and my Ipad has a max of 80. All located in the same room, and regardless of 2.4Ghz or 5 the speed is still 10% of what wired gets.

Now i know that Wifi will never be able to hit gigabit, but is it unreasonable to expect ~300Mbps over WiFi? My PC can handle up to 600 Mbps per on-board chip specifications and i think i saw that Ipads can easily do 800.

My house is 1300 ft^2, the router is about 20ft from the office where i have been checking speeds, but speeds only increase ~5% when right in front of the router.

Multiple speed tests from different devices listed below (Speed in Mbps):

• PC over Ethernet:
  • 2.4 Ghz WiFi (Samsung Note 9)
  • 5 GHz WiFi (Ipad)
  • 2.4 GHz (Toshiba Satellite laptop)
  • 2.4 Same PC as before on WiFi

Looking at "WiFi status" of both computers through the network and sharing center shows the WiFi speed at 150Mbps. When plugged in, the PC shows ethernet speed as 1Gbps.

Steps I have tried to remedy the issue:

1. Modem and Router Reboot
  2. Router Firmware update
  3. PC and laptop updates with driver updates on PC
  4. Changed Wifi channel (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) and width from Auto to non-occupied ones and max width.
  5. I went and bought a different router Archer C7 (AC1750) mostly the same as the original, just slightly cheaper. still have the same issue.
  6. Changed Ethernet cord from Cat5e to Cat6. 

I am not sure why both routers are giving me the same issue. I put the A7 back in and returned the C7 because A7 has the capability to use an app to change settings.

If i can get full speed over internet, how come my WiFi is amazingly slow?

Thanks for any answers/help.

coxspeedtest.JPG

test.JPG

the real 2ghz (2).jpg

5ghz (2).jpg

When setting the SSIDs, did the give the 2.4 and 5 Ghz different names?  That way when your connecting to it, you are sure you are connected to the 5 Ghz for the higher speeds.

17 hours ago, PsyOpWarlord said:

When setting the SSIDs, did the give the 2.4 and 5 Ghz different names?  That way when your connecting to it, you are sure you are connected to the 5 Ghz for the higher speeds.

Yes, i just hid the names but both are unique. On the devices that i am able to connect to 5GHz, they are faster, but still nowhere close to even 200...