SLI Bridges

MastuhWaffles

Ok so, I managed to pick up another 970 for pretty cheap and Im going to do SLI, which Im pretty excited for.

However, SLI bridges are wierd now. From what I can remember it was just one flexy sli bridge on the left side sli connectors and you could get set ones that were fancy but you had to measure the distance between cards.

Now there are HB bridges, and they seem to be for the 10XX series. They use the two sli connectors on each card.

Now, would actually buying one of those work with my 970s? And if it does will the high bandwidth benefit performance?

Or should I just stick with my 1 flexy sli bridge? And on the other note, couldnt I just run 2 flexy sli bridges on each connector?

Yes, it will work, however you likely won't gain much over a normal SLI bridge on a GTX 970.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sli-bridge-compatability-will-a-hb-bridge-work-at-all-with-970-cards.3138917/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Yes, it will work, however you likely won't gain much over a normal SLI bridge on a GTX 970.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sli-bridge-compatability-will-a-hb-bridge-work-at-all-with-970-cards.3138917/

Ah, I wish MSI still sold their single solid bridge. It used to be 15 bucks at the computer store and now they are impossible to find.

So what happens if I just use 2 flexy bridges?

I would suggest just selling both 970 cards and getting a 1070/vega 56......

8 hours ago, MastuhWaffles said:

Ok so, I managed to pick up another 970 for pretty cheap and Im going to do SLI, which Im pretty excited for.

However, SLI bridges are wierd now. From what I can remember it was just one flexy sli bridge on the left side sli connectors and you could get set ones that were fancy but you had to measure the distance between cards.

Now there are HB bridges, and they seem to be for the 10XX series. They use the two sli connectors on each card.

Now, would actually buying one of those work with my 970s? And if it does will the high bandwidth benefit performance?

Or should I just stick with my 1 flexy sli bridge? And on the other note, couldnt I just run 2 flexy sli bridges on each connector?

I have a hard msi gaming bridge u can have for free if u pay postage

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

12 hours ago, MastuhWaffles said:

Ah, I wish MSI still sold their single solid bridge. It used to be 15 bucks at the computer store and now they are impossible to find.

I'd imagine two flex bridges would work the same as a solid bridge, but it'd look a bit worse. Not 100% sure on that though.

Could just get one of the MSI HB Bridges if they match the style you want since they'd work the same. Looks like there are quite a few on ebay for only $20-30 USD.

Edit:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/515345/two-sli-cards-what-happens-if-both-sli-are-connected-does-the-magic-smoke-come-out-or-nothing-hap/

According to this thread, the second connector is only there for 3-way SLI setups and doesn't affect 2-way SLI other than aesthetically.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

21 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I'd imagine two flex bridges would work the same as a solid bridge, but it'd look a bit worse. Not 100% sure on that though.

Could just get one of the MSI HB Bridges if they match the style you want since they'd work the same. Looks like there are quite a few on ebay for only $20-30 USD.

Edit:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/515345/two-sli-cards-what-happens-if-both-sli-are-connected-does-the-magic-smoke-come-out-or-nothing-hap/

According to this thread, the second connector is only there for 3-way SLI setups and doesn't affect 2-way SLI other than aesthetically.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:57 AM, MastuhWaffles said:

You can have my msi hard bridge for free if u pay postage 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

10 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

You can have my msi hard bridge for free if u pay postage 

I actually managed to find the right one I remember from 4 years ago, I appreciate it though.