PC Crashing / Games Randomly Closing or Freezing

UprisingM249
Go to solution Solved by UprisingM249,
On 6/28/2019 at 11:11 PM, UprisingM249 said:

Recently my computer has been acting up. I have no clue why. After researching I have come up with nothing, as of why I am posting.

I play many games, but only a select few tend to crash, yet they all crash in their own different way. Games of mine that crash are: Counter Strike Global Offensive, Rust, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

I've verified integrity of the game files on all 3 games, yet the problem still shows up. 

Counter Strike Global Offensive

This game runs at about 250FPS on max settings. It every once in a while crashes my whole computer. About every 5-10 minutes it either randomly closes to desktop, or freezes.

Rust

This game runs on medium settings, getting a good amount of FPS. It seems to close to desktop randomly about every 30 minutes.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

I play RS2V on max settings, getting good frames. This game seems to close to my desktop randomly every 15-20 minutes.

Desktop Specs

Listed below are my computer specs. I'm unaware of my power supply

• Intel i7 950 Video Card
  • GTX 1060 GPU
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard
  • Windows 10
  • x64 bit
  • Desktop

My desktop was built less than a year ago, and it didn't have any problems (atleast not that I can remember) when I first got it. Other games I play are Minecraft, Arma 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, Insurgency, Prison Architect,  Civilization V, and many others. All these games run fine on max settings with 60+ FPS.

Help would be greatly appreciated so I can go back to playing my favorite games. I just bought Rainbow 6: Siege today, and it's downloading. If the crashing problem happens on Rainbow 6, I'll update the post. Thank you.

Solved: GPU / CPU was overclocked and I didn't have enough watts on my PSU

Recently my computer has been acting up. I have no clue why. After researching I have come up with nothing, as of why I am posting.

I play many games, but only a select few tend to crash, yet they all crash in their own different way. Games of mine that crash are: Counter Strike Global Offensive, Rust, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

I've verified integrity of the game files on all 3 games, yet the problem still shows up. 

This game runs at about 250FPS on max settings. It every once in a while crashes my whole computer. About every 5-10 minutes it either randomly closes to desktop, or freezes.

Rust

This game runs on medium settings, getting a good amount of FPS. It seems to close to desktop randomly about every 30 minutes.

I play RS2V on max settings, getting good frames. This game seems to close to my desktop randomly every 15-20 minutes.

Desktop Specs

• GTX 1060 GPU
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard
  • Windows 10
  • x64 bit
  • Desktop

My desktop was built less than a year ago, and it didn't have any problems (atleast not that I can remember) when I first got it. Other games I play are Minecraft, Arma 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, Insurgency, Prison Architect,  Civilization V, and many others. All these games run fine on max settings with 60+ FPS.

Help would be greatly appreciated so I can go back to playing my favorite games. I just bought Rainbow 6: Siege today, and it's downloading. If the crashing problem happens on Rainbow 6, I'll update the post. Thank you.

40 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Rust

Desktop Specs

• GTX 1060 GPU
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard
  • Windows 10
  • x64 bit
  • Desktop

Run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode.  Do a clean and restart and now your back into normal mode.  Now install the latest WHQL nVidia drivers and let us know what happens.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Try running an intensive GPU only benchmark (3D mark/furmark/unigen haven) and see if it crashes. As well as a CPU only benchmark (cinebench/3dmark). This would try and quickly see if it is say a dying GPU/CPU.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Also an Intel i7 950 is a CPU. Not a video card. Its the "brain" of your computer. Your 1060 is a GPU/Video card and renders your games.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Hey all my drivers are already up to date, I checked them and I do not believe that is the problem (replying to turtle)

21 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Try running an intensive GPU only benchmark (3D mark/furmark/unigen haven) and see if it crashes. As well as a CPU only benchmark (cinebench/3dmark). This would try and quickly see if it is say a dying GPU/CPU.

Is it possible to run a test on MSI afterburner? (Sorry if this sounds stupid I know nothing about computers)

9 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Is it possible to run a test on MSI afterburner? (Sorry if this sounds stupid I know nothing about computers)

Not that I know of that will just let you monitor temps and usage and stuff as well as overclock. If it has a test built-in its probably not recommended I've never heard of it and I use it all the time.

12 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Hey all my drivers are already up to date, I checked them and I do not believe that is the problem (replying to turtle)

Meaning you didn't just let windows tell you drivers are up to date? You went to NVIDIA's website and confirmed you are running the latest version? Windows will not automatically update to the newest GPU drivers. It will update to the recommended.

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Meaning you didn't just let windows tell you drivers are up to date? You went to NVIDIA's website and confirmed you are running the latest version? Windows will not automatically update to the newest GPU drivers. It will update to the recommended.

I manually went into device manager and right clicked, then selected 'update drivers'

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Not that I know of that will just let you monitor temps and usage and stuff as well as overclock. If it has a test built-in its probably not recommended I've never heard of it and I use it all the time.

What would you recommend I download to test?

3 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

As Turtle Rig said, download DDU, run it, clean your GPU drivers, then go to NVIDIA's website, enter the info on your GPU and download and install the latest driver and then restart to apply it. Your problems aside, you'd probably even get a slight performance boost in games from running the latest drivers, especially in new releases.

Once we can confirm its not software/driver issues, we'd move onto to trying to figure out which hardware could be at fault. Most likely the GPU.

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

As Turtle Rig said, download DDU, run it, clean your GPU drivers, then go to NVIDIA's website, enter the info on your GPU and download and install the latest driver and then restart to apply it. Your problems aside, you'd even get a slight performance boost in games from running the latest drivers, especially in new releases.

Okay, I'll try this and get back to you afterwards. Thank you. I'm also trying out R6S to see if it will crash now

6 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

In the (parenthesis) of when I said download benchmarks I listed common benchmarks. I'd use Furmark for GPU and Cinebench for CPU. They would be the fastest to download and test.

I would edit my post but since you are replying fast you might not notice the edit, but a lot of issues won't happen unless the GPU/CPU is under an intensive load, which might not happen at all or infrequently in a game, so instead we are downloading what you'd call a "synthetic benchmark" which just maxes out the hardware. If there is something wrong, it'll almost always manifest during the intensive benchmark. You can run benchmarks for CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage drives and it can help you determine where the problem is if a test flat out fails or performance is lower than it should be and you can find out before you start swapping parts out.

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I would edit my post but since you are replying fast you might not notice the edit, but a lot of issues won't happen unless the GPU/CPU is under an intensive load, which might not happen at all or infrequently in a game, so instead we are downloading what you'd call a "synthetic benchmark" which just maxes out the hardware. If there is something wrong, it'll almost always manifest during the intensive benchmark. You can run benchmarks for CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage drives and it can help you determine where the problem is if a test flat out fails or performance is lower than it should be and you can find out before you start swapping parts out.

Alright. Would you happen to have discord? If so, would you mind talking there?

Just now, UprisingM249 said:

Alright. Would you happen to have discord? If so, would you mind talking there?

Like I said, I'm not all techy and I don't know much. Feel like this would be easier over an app like that

4 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Like I said, I'm not all techy and I don't know much. Feel like this would be easier over an app like that

Im not somewhere I can talk, sorry. If its easier, Furmark is here, Cinebench is here, DDU is here, and NVIDIA website for drivers is here. Again, first use DDU to wipe your display drivers (its very straight forward and basic). Restart. Then go to NVIDIAs website and you see the dropdowns, set it for your GPU, and download/install/restart. No need to start testing hardware if we haven't even ruled out drivers being the issue.

Im not somewhere I can talk, sorry. If its easier, Furmark is here, Cinebench is here, DDU is here, and NVIDIA website for drivers is here. Again, first use DDU to wipe your display drivers (its very straight forward and basic). Restart. Then go to NVIDIAs website and you see the dropdowns, set it for your GPU, and download/install/restart.

Sounds good, give me an hour and I'll get back to you on the results. Also, another question, when I do DDU, will it wipe any of my personal files?

1 minute ago, UprisingM249 said:

Sounds good, give me an hour and I'll get back to you on the results. Also, another question, when I do DDU, will it wipe any of my personal files?

Nope, it'll wipe only your GPU drivers. You desktop might look funky when you restart, because you have no display drivers, don't be alarmed. It'll all return to normal when you reinstall the newest drivers from nvidia.

Nope, it'll wipe only your GPU drivers. You desktop might look funky when you restart, because you have no display drivers, don't be alarmed. It'll all return to normal when you reinstall the newest drivers from nvidia.

Okay, will DDU reinstall them for me?

1 minute ago, UprisingM249 said:

Okay, will DDU reinstall them for me?

nope 

DDU = display driver uninstaller

It has one purpose in life

Image result for pass the butter robot gif

nope 

DDU = display driver uninstaller

It has one purpose in life

Image result for pass the butter robot gif

Haha, okay. How will I know what to install when I go to the websites?

2 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Haha, okay. How will I know what to install when I go to the websites?

Just follow the links and read what I said. Its very in-your-face if you click the link to nvidias driver page.

21 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Just follow the links and read what I said. Its very in-your-face if you click the link to nvidias driver page.

Do I only have to wipe my 1060? What about my i7 950 or my motherboard drivers

3 minutes ago, UprisingM249 said:

Do I only have to wipe my 1060? What about my i7 950 or my motherboard drivers

Also, I just finished reinstalling the latest drivers for my 1060, why does it feel like my PC is slower? What is Geforce Experience? Should I restart my pc after installing the drivers?