HDD bracket for flat mounting

tincanalley

So I am trying to flat mount 3 WD 3.5" drives to a wooden surface.  They need to be close together to fit in the space I have, so I am limited in the type of bracket or mount.  So here's my issue.  I have found that the trays meant to hold a 2.5 inside it or a 3.5 on top of it would be perfect, but they are designed so the drive mounts on top an if I mount the drive, I can't attached it to the wood while the drive is mounted on the tray.  If I mount the try, I can't mount the drive to it as I won't have access to the bottom where the screws attach.  So that is out of the running.  The others are the U shaped ones that adapt the 3.5 to fit in a 5.25 bay, but hose bracket are way to big and I have no way of cutting them down.  So what I need is basically a 4" long L style bracket.  Ones that screw to the side of the drive and then would allow me to screw the other part of the bracket to the wood.  Only issue is, I've only seen these as part of an expensive mounting kit.  I'm not going to spend 60 bucks on three kits only to toss 90% of it.

Any ideas?  As you can see from the attached images, there are brackets, but each one has it's issue.  Either cost or modifying.  The best one is the image with the samsung ssd.  Those L brackets would be perfect, but I can't find just those.

719jHLes2oL._SL1500_.jpg

61RgRyP7FsL._SL1000_.jpg

71YFx64XauL._SL1500_.jpg

61qQgwoq7ZL._SX679_.jpg

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

I would think you could try to use some equipment rack ears and drill out the right holes (if existing ones don't line up). You could also purchase an inside corner bracket from a hardware store and find some that have the right sized holes/spacing; or if you had the tools/space to cut some metal you could buy some hole punched angle bracing (or even flat) and bend it to the sizes you need.

Rack ears:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Inch-Rack-Mounting-Screws/dp/B01JWJYY24

Inside corner bracket:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Corner-Brace-2-Pack-15309/202033899

Hole punched angle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-4-in-x-48-in-Zinc-Plated-Punched-Angle-801337/204225757

or flat

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-3-8-in-x-72-in-Zinc-Steel-Punched-Flat-Bar-with-1-16-in-Thick-802077/204225774

Another two options for using the HDD top mount brackets, like the suspension one you posted. 

1 - Use through bolts with a nut to clamp the bracket. Drill a hole through the wood, and you can thread the bolt from behind and use a wrench to get the bolt tightened under the HDD. I'm assuming there isn't a way to mount the HDD after the bracket is attached, but if there is that is definitely the best way to go.

2 - Option 2 would be to use blocks on the side of the HDD bracket for mounting, then mount the blocks to the wood panel. This way you'd have access to the back of the bracket before attaching to the panel. 

There is no need to be so complicated. Just get some aluminum angle, cut it to length, and drill the necessary mounting holes. Screw the angle to the side of the HDDs, the screw the HDDs down to the wood through the angles.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!