Is my motherboard dead?

Go to solution Solved by Milesgaming,

I've tried all that, nothing works... I think it's really dead but that stupid green light is making me sick...

The green light only indicates that it's got power, the chipset, socket or dimms could be f***ed, unfortuantely, it's hard to tell.

Hi guys.

So i bought a new psu for my main computer and was gonna use the old one on a backup computer i have. I finished mounting the psu on the backup computer and it wouldnt start, not even the fans... The motherboard has the green light on and all... i thought maybe its the psu so i jumpstarted it and it works fine ( and used the psu that was in the backup computer and it didnt work either). The last time i used the computer was like 2 weeks ago and it was running fine. The motherboard is an old asus P5G41T-M LX.

Ah another thing, i had another motherboard ( an asus P8H61-M LE) laying around the house and since i had all my tools out i decided to see if it still worked. It happened the same thing as the mobo on the backup pc. The only difference is that i dont have a CPU on this one, maybe it wont start cause there's no CPU installed?

Can you guys help me out here? Is the motherboard dead? Better, are BOTH mobos dead? Thats a rather weird coincidence ( and irritating at the least)...

Thanks in advance guys!

Full specs could help. 

I would suggest checking all of the front panel connecters. If it doesn't work, take everything out and set it up on a motherboard box

EDIT: A PC will not start without a CPU

Full specs could help. 

I would suggest checking all of the front panel connecters. If it doesn't work, take everything out and set it up on a motherboard box

Its an old computer, i dont remember what cpu is there, all i know is that its a core 2 duo, the psu is a nox 620w, 4gb of g.skill ram and the gpu is a hd 6000 series, dont remember which one it was but it belongs in a low end tier.

Oh thanks, i tried but it makes sense since it probably needs the cpu to complete the circuit!

Full specs could help. 

Just finished mounting everthing up on a motherboard box, still doesn not work

Just finished mounting everthing up on a motherboard box, still doesn not work

Have you tried bridging the front power pins manually? 

Try rewiring the whole system, especially the front panel connectors.

Have you tried bridging the front power pins manually? 

I've tried all that, nothing works... I think it's really dead but that stupid green light is making me sick...

Hi guys.

So i bought a new psu for my main computer and was gonna use the old one on a backup computer i have. I finished mounting the psu on the backup computer and it wouldnt start, not even the fans... The motherboard has the green light on and all... i thought maybe its the psu so i jumpstarted it and it works fine ( and used the psu that was in the backup computer and it didnt work either). The last time i used the computer was like 2 weeks ago and it was running fine. The motherboard is an old asus P5G41T-M LX.

Ah another thing, i had another motherboard ( an asus P8H61-M LE) laying around the house and since i had all my tools out i decided to see if it still worked. It happened the same thing as the mobo on the backup pc. The only difference is that i dont have a CPU on this one, maybe it wont start cause there's no CPU installed?

Can you guys help me out here? Is the motherboard dead? Better, are BOTH mobos dead? Thats a rather weird coincidence ( and irritating at the least)...

Thanks in advance guys!

The green light is an indication that power is making it through the board, not how much power is. When you say that you jumpstarted your PSU and it worked, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you used the paperclip in the 24 pin green and one neighboring black wires and turned it on and the PSU fan started? If so, did it also start up case fans, etc?

A couple of questions to make sure I understand everything correctly and to help with troubleshooting.

1) The new purchased PSU is in your main computer - and works?

2) The PSU that just came out of your main computer ("the old one") is the one with a problem?

2a) The backup computer is the one that won't power on?

3) Have you tried the new PSU in the backup computer?

4) Have you tried the old PSU in the main computer? If not, I wouldn't suggest trying it right away in case the PSU is the problem - don't want to fry your main computer parts.

I suggest keeping the computer setup on the box the motherboard came in until resolved to make sure your case isn't the one shorting out the computer.

Did you plug the 4 or 8 pin CPU connector to the motherboard? Be careful not to use the pcie ones on the cpu connector. Does the core 2 system have a dedicated gpu? Did you hear any series of beeping sounds when you tried to start the old computer?

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

The green light is an indication that power is making it through the board, not how much power is. When you say that you jumpstarted your PSU and it worked, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you used the paperclip in the 24 pin green and one neighboring black wires and turned it on and the PSU fan started? If so, did it also start up case fans, etc?

A couple of questions to make sure I understand everything correctly and to help with troubleshooting.

1) The new purchased PSU is in your main computer - and works?

2) The PSU that just came out of your main computer ("the old one") is the one with a problem?

2a) The backup computer is the one that won't power on?

3) Have you tried the new PSU in the backup computer?

4) Have you tried the old PSU in the main computer? If not, I wouldn't suggest trying it right away in case the PSU is the problem - don't want to fry your main computer parts.

I suggest keeping the computer setup on the box the motherboard came in until resolved to make sure your case isn't the one shorting out the computer.

1- Yes, it's an AX860i so it better be working ahah im kidding, yeah my main computer is fine!

No trouble there.

2- The PSU that came out of the my main computer is working ( i believe it is cause it works when i jumpstart it with a paper clip).

2a- Yes

3- The new one no, but i've tried with the old one that was in my backup pc and it doesnt work either ( the psu was working a couple of weeks ago and its kinda odd that both psu dont "work", thats why i believe its something to do with the mobo)

4- the old psu was in my main computer and it was working fine ( took it out two weeks ago)

Did you plug the 4 or 8 pin CPU connector to the motherboard? Be careful not to use the pcie ones on the cpu connector. Does the core 2 system have a dedicated gpu? Did you hear any series of beeping sounds when you tried to start the old computer?

I plugged the right one. It has, its an old asus hd6000 series, dont know which one it is, its like a 6670 or something like that, a lower tier i bought really cheap just to play league of legends when im at my grandma house when there's big family meetings and i get bored!

No, i didn't cause nothing turns on

1- Yes, it's an AX860i so it better be working ahah im kidding, yeah my main computer is fine!

No trouble there.

2- The PSU that came out of the my main computer is working ( i believe it is cause it works when i jumpstart it with a paper clip).

2a- Yes

3- The new one no, but i've tried with the old one that was in my backup pc and it doesnt work either ( the psu was working a couple of weeks ago and its kinda odd that both psu dont "work", thats why i believe its something to do with the mobo)

4- the old psu was in my main computer and it was working fine ( took it out two weeks ago)

Thanks, it could be the PSU's, it could be the mobo... I believe it's the PSU's because a PSU can start up with the paperclip but it may have aged and isn't able to take all the power draw of the whole computer. What I would suggest is, take some time and take the new PSU and plug it into the backup computer and see if it works. If it doesn't - it's probably the mobo. If it does, it's the old PSU (and the old backup PSU). If neither work, it could be both PSU/mobo. Also, if you did a lot of moving or any re-seating of the CPU, you may want to check that out.

So, if I understand correctly - you have three PSU's - new one, old one, and old backup. Both old one and the old backup PSU don't work, but at least the old one was working a couple of weeks ago? Was the old backup working a few weeks ago too?

Thanks, it could be the PSU's, it could be the mobo... I believe it's the PSU's because a PSU can start up with the paperclip but it may have aged and isn't able to take all the power draw of the whole computer. What I would suggest is, take some time and take the new PSU and plug it into the backup computer and see if it works. If it doesn't - it's probably the mobo. If it does, it's the old PSU (and the old backup PSU). If neither work, it could be both PSU/mobo. Also, if you did a lot of moving or any re-seating of the CPU, you may want to check that out.

So, if I understand correctly - you have three PSU's - new one, old one, and old backup. Both old one and the old backup PSU don't work, but at least the old one was working a couple of weeks ago? Was the old backup working a few weeks ago too?

yes yes, i have three psu's. All of the old ones were working a couple of weeks ago yeah

The green light only indicates that it's got power, the chipset, socket or dimms could be f***ed, unfortuantely, it's hard to tell.

Take the new PSU to the old mobo, if it starts your old PSU's are dead, if it doesent the mobo is dead (+ reseat everything, ram, gpu, etc...), quickest and most reliable way... gl

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

Take the new PSU to the old mobo, if it starts your old PSU's are dead, if it doesent the mobo is dead (+ reseat everything, ram, gpu, etc...), quickest and most reliable way... gl

thanks alot for everything guys. I'll try a couple of things and if nothing else works ill throw it out the window and enjoy watching it burst into small pieces on the ground.