What do you need to rgb?

idiocracy

I don't really understand rgb, but my nephew wants it.

So, mobo doesn't have enough headers for 4 fans, so we need a controller, right. Some controllers have 3, 4, 5 or 6 pin connectors, some appear to only be for light strips or ambient and none of them seem to have any fan connectors. But if i'm getting it right, the fans have 2 cables, one for light and one for spinning. How is it supposed to fit together?

Nope....Just nope.

Depends on the brand. Different brands have different ways of setting RGB fans up. Some only need one cable, some need a controller and rgb hub and a lot of other stuff.

For example, Corsair's RGB fans require a the RGB cables of the fans to be plugged into an RGB Hub, and that RGB Hub plugs in to a Lighting Node Pro, which plugs in via SATA power and USB to the motherboard. You can replace that Lighting Node Pro with a Commander Pro which gives you the added bonus of being able to connect your fan's power to the Commander Pro instead of to the motherboard, allowing for both RGB and Fan speed control via the same software. Yeah, it's confusing.

Another example is Cooler Master's RGB fans, where you plug in a 3 pin ARGB header to power the lights and a 4 pin PWM connector to power the fan, both to the motherboard(or a controller if you wish to buy one)

most rgb system are a proprietary mess , you kinda have to pick a system and go from there as far as how it's supposed to work as a lot of rgb stuff isn't universal at all.

Getting RGB fans and setting them up is costly and fairly difficult for a person with limited experience. I think you're better off getting regular RGB LED strips and using them instead of RGB fans. 

2 or 3 strips will provide great illumination and RGB effect. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

most rgb system are a proprietary mess , you kinda have to pick a system and go from there as far as how it's supposed to work as a lot of rgb stuff isn't universal at all.

Cable management is a huge pain in the ass with them, especially corsair. I swear I have like 30 cables just for my RGB fans.

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Getting RGB fans and setting them up is costly and fairly difficult for a person with limited experience. I think you're better off getting regular RGB LED strips and using them instead of RGB fans. 

2 or 3 strips will give great illumination and RGB effect. 

There are a few brands of RGB strips that are powered by SATA/Molex and are controlled via a physical remote, those are super easy to install and look pretty good.

Just now, _d0nut said:

There are a few brands of RGB strips that are powered by SATA/Molex and are controlled via a physical remote, those are super easy to install and look pretty good.

Exactly. And they won't cost 200-300 euros/dollars compared to Corsair RGB setup.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

We can't just buy a box with both rgb and fan headers and plug in which ever fans we want to buy and then use the included software for that box?
Just saw a demonstration vid of a guy plugging cables into some brand name box, and the other cable onto the mobo which where placed in like each corner of the board. Looked like a mess after he had plugged in the 6 fans he had.

Nope....Just nope.

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Exactly. And they won't cost 200-300 euros/dollars compared to Corsair RGB setup.

Here in SEA we have the option for Tecware fans, they have one cable for RGB(one optional one for software rgb control, otherwise its controlled by a remote) that powers the fan and some RGB, which plugs into a controller and is powered by one Molex cable. They're dirt cheap and look exactly like LL120s

Just now, idiocracy said:

We can't just buy a box with both rgb and fan headers and plug in which ever fans we want to buy and then use the included software?
Just saw a demonstration vid of a guy plugging cables into some brand name box, and the other cable onto the mobo which where placed in like each corner of the board. Looked like a mess after he had plugged in the 6 fans he had.

That's usually not how RGB fans work, there are many proprietary connectors and controllers that are required.

I'd go with @PopsicleHustler's idea and just get some RGB strips, they will serve their purpose very well, be it a white or black case.

9 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

That's usually not how RGB fans work, there are many proprietary connectors and controllers that are required. 

I'd go with @PopsicleHustler's idea and just get some RGB strips, they will serve their purpose very well, be it a white or black case.

That makes me so happy i never bothered with rgb in my own builds, because stuff like that would make my head boil. Unless i can talk him out of it, strips is probably the way. I've suggested a mesify c mini to him.
But there is no software controlling a strip box, or does that exist so we don't need to rely on a remote? 100% sure that'll get lost at some point.

Nope....Just nope.

5 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

That makes me so happy i never bothered with rgb in my own builds, because stuff like that would make my head boil. Unless i can talk him out of it, strips is probably the way. I've suggested a mesify c mini to him.
But there is no software controlling a strip box, or does that exist so we don't need to rely on a remote? 100% sure that'll get lost at some point.

If your motherboard has 4 pin 12V RGB connectors, you can use them to power and control everything through according software.

6 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

There are some proprietary strips from Corsair and NZXT, and if your motherboard has a header, there are more standard strips from e.g  Cablemod and BitFenix. The voltage for the strips may vary, so don't be a ret@&# like some YouTubers that used a 5V strip on 12V, and then complain about a hardware failure killing your stuff. Also pay attention to if the strip is addressable with 3 pins, or non addressable with 4 pins. 

:)

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

If your motherboard has 4 pin 12V RGB connectors, you can use them to power and control everything through according software.

It has 1x RGB LED Header, supports in total up to 12V/3A, 36W LED Strip. And 1x AMD Fan LED Header, supports LED strips of maximum load of 3A (36W) and length up to 2.5M. Both are 4-pin.
That should be enough. Are there any you would recommend?

Nope....Just nope.

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There are some proprietary strips from Corsair and NZXT, and if your motherboard has a header, there are more standard strips from e.g  Cablemod and BitFenix. The voltage for the strips may vary, so don't be a ret@&# like some YouTubers that used a 5V strip on 12V, and then complain about a hardware failure killing your stuff. Also pay attention to if the strip is addressable with 3 pins, or non addressable with 4 pins. 

Talking about this: https://www.nzxt.com/products/hue-2-led-strip-accessory

Appears it only works with their hue thingie.

Nope....Just nope.

10 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

It has 1x RGB LED Header, supports in total up to 12V/3A, 36W LED Strip. And 1x AMD Fan LED Header, supports LED strips of maximum load of 3A (36W) and length up to 2.5M.
That should be enough. Are there any you would recommend?

Just search at whatever online store/retailer you buy PC parts from. I searched on Amazon UK for 5 minutes and found this. Should work great in small case.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOWLED-Desktop-Computer-Lighting-Compatible/dp/B07GNHS83P/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=PC%2BLED%2BStrip&qid=1561570066&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1

15 hours ago, idiocracy said:

Meshify C Mini with RGB strips would look very nice, good choice(it has excellent airflow too)

• 1 year later...

I have a weird problem. I ordered the upHere rgb fans from our countries Amazon (I live in Sweden) and I didn’t get a hub or a controller. The fans are connected via either 3 pin or molex. Both of the connectors controls the power and the rgb. (The rgb is just Normal, no modes, speeds etc) question: is there any way to change the color or mode on the fans with like a molex controller hub etc. please reply :(