How do I tell if i have been ratted or keylogged?

Someone hacked my mums email but I dont know if they got in from my pc, how will I check if I have been ratted or keylogged?

do you have AV on the machine? what OS are you running, have you done updates. are you running pirate software?

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

do you have AV on the machine? what OS are you running, have you done updates. are you running pirate software?

I have malwarebytes running windows 10 i updated it yesterday and no i am not

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

have you done a scan?

yeah i do one everyday

and a defender scan? if you have run scans and don't use pirated software i would think you were safe. If you are realyl worried, do a fresh install.

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

and a defender scan? if you have run scans and don't use pirated software i would think you were safe. If you are realyl worried, do a fresh install.

if i was to do a fresh install what would i do, a factory reset?

no a fresh, clean install using a fresh, clean iso on an installer USB or DVD like wipe it completely and re-install.

Just now, UrbanFreestyle said:

no a fresh, clean install using a fresh, clean iso on an installer USB or DVD like wipe it completely and re-install.

how would i do that?

Failing that, take the computer to a hardware shop, take a hammer to it and then go buy a new one.

you can use a tool to see the licence key and re-use it on the same hardware.
Sorry i'm feeling a bit trolly as having a bad day.

keylog is very unlikely. RAT is possible, but i'm guessing your mom exposed her email account by opening a malicious email. most likely your system is fine but it's good that you checked

12 minutes ago, Derrk said:

keylog is very unlikely. RAT is possible, but i'm guessing your mom exposed her email account by opening a malicious email. most likely your system is fine but it's good that you checked

yeah ive just went and changed her pass and added 2 step, anything else im forgetting to do?

What actually happened with your mothers e-mail? why do you think she was hacked?

In the VAST majority of cases where people are "hacked", they are not actually hacked. It's incredibly rare to find a real hacker and even more rare (like hens teeth, solid gold cars and flying pigs)  to find a real hacker targeting someone that is just a normal person.

It could be that someone is simply spoofing her mail address and she uses e-mail from an unsecured provider, could be that she was a victim of one of the large websites being hacked and now someone is going through trying to access the old passwords that they have and use for every website. The chances of someone installing software and getting into your network to perform a hack are so small it is not even worth considering, most likely her username and password appeared in one of the lists and people are now trying them.

Check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ with her mail address and see what shows up.

Just now, FlappyBoobs said:

What actually happened with your mothers e-mail? why do you think she was hacked?

In the VAST majority of cases where people are "hacked", they are not actually hacked. It's incredibly rare to find a real hacker and even more rare (like hens teeth, solid gold cars and flying pigs)  to find a real hacker targeting someone that is just a normal person.

It could be that someone is simply spoofing her mail address and she uses e-mail from an unsecured provider, could be that she was a victim of one of the large websites being hacked and now someone is going through trying to access the old passwords that they have and use for every website. The chances of someone installing software and getting into your network to perform a hack are so small it is not even worth considering, most likely her username and password appeared in one of the lists and people are now trying them.

Check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ with her mail address and see what shows up.

yeah i checked that website and she was pwned on 5 sites

9 minutes ago, Hazelty said:

yeah ive just went and changed her pass and added 2 step, anything else im forgetting to do?

besides that, run any antivirus she has on her computer. Even if she has nothing else, windows defender is decent if windows is updated. It probably won't find anything if it's deep rooted, but again i think it's unlikely that anything made it onto her system. Most likely just her email alone was hacked.

if you want to be super cautious, you can reboot your router and change the password if it still uses the original password that came with it. This wouldn't get rid of worms, but the odds of that are close to 0%

Does your mother re-use her password? It could be that another service she used got hacked in such a way that the email:password combination got leaked. 

The supposed 'hacker' then tried that combination on the login page of your mothers email provider and voila, 'hacked'.

For this to happen you or your mother don't need to be infected with any virus, It could just be the weak protection of the services your mother uses.

I always suggest to use a password manager which always creates a unique password for every service.

20 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Welp, that's what I was trying to say, this is probably the issue.

21 minutes ago, Heulen said:

Welp, that's what I was trying to say, this is probably the issue.

yeah getting her to use different passwords for everything now and use 2 step