I need help, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong

I just upgraded my motherboard to a msi mpg z390 pro carbon ac and my CPU to Intel i7 9700k. Also upgraded my CPU cooler as well. When I installed all parts into the case , my PC won't boot at all. There is no lights and no fans that run. I'm sure that the case switches are set up correctly and I know I didnt fry the board because there was no smell. Any ideas ? 

I also ordered a new psu because I thought that my CPU needed a 12 pin connector to work but I read on a different topic that is not required. 

Did you plug in all the power connectors fully? (24-pin, 8+4 pin CPU power)

Did you connect the front panel headers correctly?

Did you turn on the power supply? (There's usually a switch on the back.)

Is the power supply plugged into the wall?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

6 minutes ago, Sonnydeelite said:

I only have 8 pins plugged into the CPU power but I didnt think it was essential to have all 12 in. Is it ?

Very much so, connect the 12 pin and try again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Sonnydeelite said:

I only have 8 pins plugged into the CPU power but I didnt think it was essential to have all 12 in. Is it ?

Supposedly you only need the main 8 plugged in, and the extra 4 are just for if you're doing some heavy overclocking. I'd still want to have them all plugged in regardless.

How about everything else?

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Did you connect the front panel headers correctly?

Did you turn on the power supply? (There's usually a switch on the back.)

Is the power supply plugged into the wall?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yea everything else is as you said. I already ordered a new PSU that has 12 pin capability so maybe that's what it is, but could it be anything else ?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Very much so, connect the 12 pin and try again.

I already ordered a new PSU that has 12 pin. So is their anything else that could be wrong with it besides that or are you 100 percent sure you need all 12 pins ?

1 minute ago, Sonnydeelite said:

I already ordered a new PSU that has 12 pin. So is their anything else that could be wrong with it besides that or are you 100 percent sure you need all 12 pins ?

Wait, 12 pin? Sorry, ignore me, I've only just woke up and my brain still isn't working.

The 24 pin and 8 pin are essential, anything else is, as you said, extra juice for OCing.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So do you know what could be wrong then if both of them are plugged in 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Wait, 12 pin? Sorry, ignore me, I've only just woke up and my brain still isn't working.

The 24 pin and 8 pin are essential, anything else is, as you said, extra juice for OCing.

So do you know what could be wrong then if both are connected 

1 minute ago, Sonnydeelite said:

Double check that everything is connected properly.

Does anything happen at all when you press the power button? (Do any lights come on or even flash? Do any fans move at all? Does it make any noise or do literally anything?)

Make sure the outlet is working by plugging something else into it and seeing if it gets powered.

2 minutes ago, Sonnydeelite said:

Start with the simple things and work backwards...

Check the PSU cable is working

Ensure the power switch is connected to the correct header

Remove the switch and short with a screwdriver

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Double check that everything is connected properly.

Does anything happen at all when you press the power button? (Do any lights come on or even flash? Do any fans move at all? Does it make any noise or do literally anything?)

Make sure the outlet is working by plugging something else into it and seeing if it gets powered.

Yea already checked if outlet works , also no lights no fans , nothing at all. 

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Start with the simple things and work backwards...

Check the PSU cable is working

Ensure the power switch is connected to the correct header

Remove the switch and short with a screwdriver

The cables from the psu were working, I checked them with a volt meter. And I'm pretty sure the power switch cable is correct but the instructions were a bit confusing for me.

1 hour ago, Sonnydeelite said:

The cables from the psu were working, I checked them with a volt meter. And I'm pretty sure the power switch cable is correct but the instructions were a bit confusing for me.

remove all the connectors from the board headers, get a small flathead screwdriver and short out the power switch header, if it doesn't work then try them all.

You'll want to double check that then. The power switch connects to the two pins on the top right side of the front panel connectors.

image.png.8a00b95fa7e907b8e30d27e5e362ec7f.png

Check memory - press down and see if it clicks. Also check header as OP says.

Ok it is the power cable? Yes you want to fill that puppy lol.

Edited by DoctorNick

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

15 hours ago, TheKDub said:

You'll want to double check that then. The power switch connects to the two pins on the top right side of the front panel connectors.

image.png.8a00b95fa7e907b8e30d27e5e362ec7f.png

Ok guys I finally got my PC to turn on but now everytime I try to boot it up it freezes. Sometimes it let's me get into downloading windows but inevitably it freezes again. I can enter bios though. Any ideas ? 

Ok guys I finally got my PC to turn on but now everytime I try to boot it up it freezes. Sometimes it let's me get into downloading windows but inevitably it freezes again. I can enter bios though. Any ideas ? 

"Sometimes it let's me get into downloading windows but inevitably it freezes again."

What do you mean by downloading windows?

Do you have an OS already on the computer and you're trying to download a Windows installer?

Do you mean you're trying to install Windows? If so, what are you using to install Windows? (A flash drive? CD?)

If you open the BIOS after the PC freezes, what are your CPU temps at? What cooler are you using? Is it installed properly? Did you use new thermal paste?

6 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

"Sometimes it let's me get into downloading windows but inevitably it freezes again."

What do you mean by downloading windows?

Do you have an OS already on the computer and you're trying to download a Windows installer?

Do you mean you're trying to install Windows? If so, what are you using to install Windows? (A flash drive? CD?)

If you open the BIOS after the PC freezes, what are your CPU temps at? What cooler are you using? Is it installed properly? Did you use new thermal paste?

I'm trying to download windows on a clean drive from a USB. Temps are fine as well. 

I'm trying to download windows on a clean drive from a USB. Temps are fine as well. 

Do you already have the windows installer on the flash drive? Or are you trying to put it on a flash drive?

If it's already on the flash drive, you're not downloading anything, you're just installing Windows.

If you're trying to put it on the flash drive, do you have another computer you can try doing it with?

I have windows 10 on the USB but my PC isnt loading the installer when I boot the system. 

7 minutes ago, Sonnydeelite said:

I have windows 10 on the USB but my PC isnt loading the installer when I boot the system. 

Try using a different USB port. If using a front panel port, try one on the back of the motherboard (or vise-versa). If using it in the lower ports on the back of the motherboard, try the top ports.

If that doesn't work, try remaking the installer, then try the above again.

You might need to change some boot order settings in your BIOS to make the flash drive boot before anything else. (You can change it back after installing Windows)