I am unable to log into my router settings

AlexanderG

Hello! I am staying at my granparents' place, and I wanted to connect to the internet. I asked them about the WiFi password, but they told me they forgot it. I then went to the computer and tried to guess the IP address (You know, that 192.168.x.x thing) and I finally found it. I knew I found it, because this time, instead of the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT message, I got a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message - the is the core of the problem. I have tried checking the password through their phones - I can't. Could you guys help me out signing into the router? Thanks in advance!

You might have guessed wrong and just happened to find another device on the network that does not have an http server. If you are on a Windows computer, open the command line and type ipconfig. If you find "default gateway", that should be the ip of your router

1 minute ago, Ridago said:

You might have guessed wrong and just happened to find another device on the network that does not have an http server. If you are on a Windows computer, open the command line and type ipconfig. If you find "default gateway", that should be the ip of your router

I did that, but that is one of the many IP addresses I tried straight off - and even after typing the command in CMD, it had the ERR_CONNECTION _TIMED_OUT message

Have you tried pinging that IP, just to see if you can see anything there at all?

Have you tried pinging that IP, just to see if you can see anything there at all?

No, but I will try that now

OK, so I pinged both the IP that I think is the true one, and the one that is showing up in the command prompt,and they are both coming up with the following results: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

1 minute ago, F1PlayBG said:

OK, so I pinged both the IP that I think is the true one, and the one that is showing up in the command prompt,and they are both coming up with the following results: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So the result looks something like this?

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Just now, Ridago said:

So the result looks something like this?

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Yes, just the IPs are 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.3

What router do you have?

An ISP provided Huawei EchoLife HG8245T

Could it be that the ISP has a website you have to configure the router from? I think I have experienced some routers that do not let you log on from your local network, but rather you have to go through the ISP website

Could it be that the ISP has a website you have to configure the router from? I think I have experienced some routers that do not let you log on from your local network, but rather you have to go through the ISP website

I thought of that option, but haven't looked through it much. I will have a look and let you know

Have you looked on the router itself? some ISPs now have a default wifi password printed on the router, or even a pull out tab type thing you can pass to someone for them to read. If your grandparents aren't tech savvy, which it sounds might be the case, then they probably haven't changed it from the default.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Have you looked on the router itself? some ISPs now have a default wifi password printed on the router, or even a pull out tab type thing you can pass to someone for them to read. If your grandparents aren't tech savvy, which it sounds might be the case, then they probably haven't changed it from the default.

I have looked through the router, that was the first thing that came to my mind. Unfortunately, I found no such things

1 minute ago, F1PlayBG said:

I have looked through the router, that was the first thing that came to my mind. Unfortunately, I found no such things

Ahh damn.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, Ridago said:

So after a thorough investigation, I found out that there is no such ISP website, but I think there is an option to provide access for the settings. However, my grandparents didn't add that option to their contract because they don't need it.

19 hours ago, F1PlayBG said:

So after a thorough investigation, I found out that there is no such ISP website, but I think there is an option to provide access for the settings. However, my grandparents didn't add that option to their contract because they don't need it.

If they have a laptop or mac that is connected to the wifi then you can find the wifi password within the settings of those devices.

With a Mac it is in the keychain.

With a windows laptop or desktop its in network settings. (i know its on windows 7 but i have not checked if its on windows 10, but i'm sure a google search will do the trick).

5 minutes ago, TekSupport said:

If they have a laptop or mac that is connected to the wifi then you can find the wifi password within the settings of those devices.

With a Mac it is in the keychain.

With a windows laptop or desktop its in network settings. (i know its on windows 7 but i have not checked if its on windows 10, but i'm sure a google search will do the trick).

I am not sure if I metioned that, but there is a laptop connected to the WiFi, however, it's with my grandma and she isn't at home.

22 minutes ago, F1PlayBG said:

I am not sure if I metioned that, but there is a laptop connected to the WiFi, however, it's with my grandma and she isn't at home.

what operating system does that laptop use?

You can talk her through it.

Go to ethernet adaptor settings and set your ip to that of the router 192.168.0/1.1 (is default on most) - or check with CMD - ipconfig/all - see IP on default gateway. Sometimes you need to physically connect to the router, connect with lan to the pc. If that isn't working reset and connect through wan port.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15