Gold or silver

Today in science class we learned silver is one of the best electrical conductors, if so why do we use gold when it cost more? 

Are there other benefits to using gold over silver? 

Life is a journey in darkness, and in darkness we seek a light to light our path thru life,

In light we seek the darkness in our lives to shade the misdeeds we do unto those we meet. 

Jerry Lettins (Art teacher.) 

12 minutes ago, JayzSub said:

Marketing

A girl who loves to love.

From what I know, mostly for its resistance to corrosion and wear.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

12 minutes ago, JayzSub said:

Gold itself doesn't tarnish, and it doesn't tarnish as fast as silver when mixed with other metals.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

What Drak3 said, Silver may be a better electrical conductor but on surfaces where water, oxygen, and other contaminates are present Silver will tarnish, this oxide layer can inhibit electrical conductivity and ruin good connections. Gold on the other hand is much more resistant to tarnishing and high quality Gold (closer to 24K) is known to not form an oxide layer at all. This allows contact points to remain in good condition despite wear.

You might ask why it isn't used under the solder mask then where it's not exposed to air. That comes down to cost of manufacture. Even though the amount of silver may be worth a $1 or 2 in PCB traces us consumers would pay a much larger premium. Copper is still a very good electrical conductor and isn't a precious metal like Silver so it's much more popularly used for a majority of connections.

20 minutes ago, tikker said:

From what I know, mostly for its resistance to corrosion and wear.

20 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Gold itself doesn't tarnish, and it doesn't tarnish as fast as silver when mixed with other metals.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What Drak3 said, Silver may be a better electrical conductor but on surfaces where water, oxygen, and other contaminates are present Silver will tarnish, this oxide layer can inhibit electrical conductivity and ruin good connections. Gold on the other hand is much more resistant to tarnishing and high quality Gold (closer to 24K) is known to not form an oxide layer at all. This allows contact points to remain in good condition despite wear.

You might ask why it isn't used under the solder mask then where it's not exposed to air. That comes down to cost of manufacture. Even though the amount of silver may be worth a $1 or 2 in PCB traces us consumers would pay a much larger premium. Copper is still a very good electrical conductor and isn't a precious metal like Silver so it's much more popularly used for a majority of connections.

I ok I get it now thanks for clearing it up for me. 

Life is a journey in darkness, and in darkness we seek a light to light our path thru life,

In light we seek the darkness in our lives to shade the misdeeds we do unto those we meet. 

Jerry Lettins (Art teacher.) 

57 minutes ago, JayzSub said:

Today in science class we learned silver is one of the best electrical conductors, if so why do we use gold when it cost more?

The other thing worth mentioning is gold is very easy to make it stupidly thin, like a dozen atoms thick. So you don't need a whole lot of it.