Z97 pcie lanes layout ?

I have Z97 board, MSI Z97 G55 SLI specifically. Can you tell me which pcie lanes get disabled in the first slot when running x8 x8 sli ?

A diagram like this one for my board would be very helpful. Is it always the 'back' part of the slot ? Thanks.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=251355.0

Look at your motherboard manual. It will tell you what gets disabled in what configuration you run in. If you don't have the manual, go download it from MSI's website. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Man so not helpful. Its naive to think they put that in the manual.

I still think its gonna be the back pins, makes sense.

The manual should be the first place to look for this information. It is up to the mobo manufacturer how they allocate the lanes.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Maybe it wasnt clear. The lanes are alocated 16/0/0 8/8/0 8/4/4 thats not what im asking.

im asking what lanes (pins) in the socket are disabled ?

40 minutes ago, Frag1 said:

Maybe it wasnt clear. The lanes are alocated 16/0/0 8/8/0 8/4/4 thats not what im asking.

It's always the ones on the right side that get disabled. The slot works like a physically shorter slot would.

Thank you. 

Also where can i see in windows if the gpu is running at x16 or x8 ?

(i have a few broken pins on the right side)

58 minutes ago, Frag1 said:

Wikipedia has a pinout of the PCIe slot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Pinout

If a PCIe slot that is capable of up to 16 lanes is configured with fewer, the extra lanes are simply disabled. In the case of a 16 lane slot configured as 4 lanes, everything from pin 33A/B and on is disabled.

Also note that in a lot of consumer boards with multiple x16 slots, they may not actually be wired up for 16 lanes. A lot of times the second slot is only up to 8 lanes and the third is up to 4.

1 minute ago, Frag1 said:

Thank you. 

Also where can i see in windows if the gpu is running at x16 or x8 ?

(i have a few broken pins on the right side)

Use GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

EDIT: You should have the GPU running something while checking. GPUs tend to reduce PCIe usage if it's not doing anything as a power saving measure.

Thanks guys i kinda suspected its gonna be the right pins since short cards plug in left ones. I just wanted to confirm it.

Turns out the first slot (single card) only runs at x8 due to broken pins, though x8 x8 sli still works for what thats worth.