Logitech G500S vs Steelseries Rival (open to other optical mice suggestions)

mgsstar
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

Want to give an update on this: 

Decided to go with the G500S after trying it out at a store. Want to thank everyone for helping me make my decision! Special thanks to @TheProfosist for the continuous replies over this period and @maxvons for sharing his experience with a mouse that I was deciding to get. :)

Logitech G300 or Logitech G400S?Which one is better in terms of their sensor? Has anyone tried any of these mice? If so, how is it in terms of weight and accuracy? Budget is $50 CAD. Open to other suggestions but must have at least two side buttons.

I use it mainly for Adobe Illustrator and games (mostly FPS and sometime MOBA).

Currently down between the Logitech G500S and Steelseries Rival.

Leaning towards the Logitech G500S. Open to suggestions for optical mice that are around $50 CAD.

Mice that are off the list:

G400S

G602
Sensei Raw

Mionix Naos 7000

Razer Deathadder

Zowie Ec1 Evo

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Go for the G400s, the G300 feels like a shallow piece of cheap plastic.

and the G400s is wayy better

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

Logitech G300 or Logitech G400S?Which one is better in terms of their sensor? Has anyone tried any of these mice? If so, how is it in terms of weight and accuracy? Budget is $40 CAD. Open to other suggestions but must have at least two side buttons.

I use it mainly for Adobe Illustrator and games (mostly FPS and sometime MOBA).

Have you tried either of the two Mice in person? that is probably the best way to pre-determine a mouse that is compatible with your needs and the features you'd want.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Steelseries Sensei RAW?

Seen a user's sensei mouse coating peel after a couple weeks so afraid that it will happen to the raw.

Have you tried either of the two Mice in person? that is probably the best way to pre-determine a mouse that is compatible with your needs and the features you'd want.

Couldn't find places that have gaming mouses to try (except g500s and higher mouses).

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Seen a user's sensei mouse coating peel after a couple weeks so afraid that it will happen to the raw.

Couldn't find places that have gaming mouses to try (except g500s and higher mouses).

I would like to ask where you originate not to really stalk you but to help you find the mouse. ermm... Can you ask a retail store if its possible to get some of the two products instock so that you can evaluate the differences.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Don't use the G300 on a shiny black painted surface, it'll fuck up lmao

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Get the Gloss RAW it doesn't have coat on it.

Quote me to get a reply!

G500s is the same shape as the G400s

You won't regret your decision! :D

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Am I though only one that thinks the G400s's button layout really isnt that great?

You won't regret your decision! :D

Decided to return it since the dpi buttons are not very responsive :( (even though it clicks it doesn't register until you put more pressure into it.

Am I though only one that thinks the G400s's button layout really isnt that great?

The button layout was fine for me but just didn't like how the dpi buttons required more force after the click to register.

I was planning to go with the G500S. Do you guys think it is still a good choice even though its a laser mouse? (edited my budget to $50 CAD) Will be buying preferably from NCIX, Memory Express, Future Shop, or Best Buy (or can price match from other websites).

Decided to return it since the dpi buttons are not very responsive :( (even though it clicks it doesn't register until you put more pressure into it.

The button layout was fine for me but just didn't like how the dpi buttons required more force after the click to register.

I was planning to go with the G500S. Do you guys think it is still a good choice even though its a laser mouse? (edited my budget to $50 CAD) Will be buying preferably from NCIX, Memory Express, Future Shop, or Best Buy (or can price match from other websites).

I'd say it's a solid choice, yes.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I'd say it's a solid choice, yes.

Do you know if the sensor has acceleration after the firmware update?

It does, but not much. It's nothing to worry about unless you play TONS of FPS games, and I mean TONS.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

nope I really dont see any issue with laser mice and I prefer the G500s over the G400s personally.

Its is the normal laser acceleration or something else?

It does, but not much. It's nothing to worry about unless you play TONS of FPS games, and I mean TONS.

I would agree but dont think it matters what games you play, what matters is if you notice it or if it bothers you or not.

nope I really dont see any issue with laser mice and I prefer the G500s over the G400s personally.

Its is the normal laser acceleration or something else?

I would agree but dont think it matters what games you play, what matters is if you notice it or if it bothers you or not.

I also use Illustrator for drawing paths using the pen tool. Used a laser mouse (M705) for it and it wasn't that good because the sensor wasn't very accurate(did the line test in mspaint). I heard that the firmware update was for input lag but not sure if it also minimized the acceleration. Any other suggestions?

I also use Illustrator for drawing paths using the pen tool. Used a laser mouse (M705) for it and it wasn't that good because the sensor wasn't very accurate(did the line test in mspaint). I heard that the firmware update was for input lag but not sure if it also minimized the acceleration. Any other suggestions?

So you want optical mouse suggestions?

So you want optical mouse suggestions?

Optical preferably but laser mice seems to be better built imo so maybe also laser so I'll able to know which mice to try.

bump to get more suggestions in laser (with minimal acceleration) or optical mouse around $50 CAD.

bump to get more suggestions in laser (with minimal acceleration) or optical mouse around $50 CAD.

I forget whats all been recommended and what type of grip you have and what your preferences are, sorry.

I forget whats all been recommended and what type of grip you have and what your preferences are, sorry.

People recommended the Sensei Raw (didn't like the rubberized coating and the glossy version). G400S and G300 are off the list and I think my grip is a palm grip as I like the shape of the G400s. G500S was also a laser mouse that I liked but not sure if it has alot of acceleration. Open to choices for optical preferably but I'll look into some laser mice. Use it mainly for Adobe Illustrator and games.

People recommended the Sensei Raw (didn't like the rubberized coating and the glossy version). G400S and G300 are off the list and I think my grip is a palm grip as I like the shape of the G400s. G500S was also a laser mouse that I liked but not sure if it has alot of acceleration. Open to choices for optical preferably but I'll look into some laser mice. Use it mainly for Adobe Illustrator and games.

The under $50 CAD is whats hard

SteelSeries Rival

Logitech G602

Mionix Naos 7000 (I think, eiither way im talking about the new optical one)

Razer Deathadder

Im trying to think of other optical palm mice. There were a bunch announced at CES but only ones out so far at the mionix ones. Previously there were few optical palm mice, optical mice were usually fingertip and/or claw grip.

The under $50 CAD is whats hard

SteelSeries Rival

Logitech G602

Mionix Naos 7000 (I think, eiither way im talking about the new optical one)

Razer Deathadder

Im trying to think of other optical palm mice. There were a bunch announced at CES but only ones out so far at the mionix ones. Previously there were few optical palm mice, optical mice were usually fingertip and/or claw grip.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will probably wait for sales as they are over my budget. Do you have any idea how good Steelseries and the Mionix software is compared to the Logitech one?