Photo editing PC for the fiance

mao91

Okay so the fiance is wanting to edit photos for her Etsy/Instagram. Very basic, mostly gonna be running Lightroom and a little bit of Photoshop. So specs are not important. She doesn't want to spend more than 600 but I told her that's just not likely to happen, laptop or desktop, while being able to get some longevity. There's a local shop in town that refurbishes damaged computers and sells em cheap (think 6th gen i7 and 16gb ram w/ 15" screen for around $350-400), but it's too much "luck of the draw" trying to find something. So we talked and it looks like I'm going to be building her a PC. I told it's probably going to be closer to the 850 range, and told her I'll chip in toward it because it's important to me that she has something she can use a bit more long-term. I also want her to be able to play games here and there if she wants to, since she's more into games than I am.

Anyway, all of that rambling aside, here's what I have put together on PC Fart Licker so far. Seeing as the last PC I built was in 2016, it's safe to say I'm a bit out of touch with hardware and such. Looking for opinions. PS, fiance is an artist so the white theme is because I wanted to give her a white case that she can and will inevitably paint on, and all the RBG barf is because when we were at the aforementioned local shop, she was ogling over all the RGB barf in their custom builds, and I'd rather her have something to ogle at so it's easier to steer her away from wasting her money on an all-in-one PC. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ben.toast/saved/ZxPzNG

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

PS: I should clarify, the price cannot go up from where it is, at all. If anything, I'm trying to see if it's possible for it to come down a bit.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

It looks decent, but i would recommend getting a r5 3600, the adobe has some problems with 1000 and 2000 series ryzen, because of the single core performance, but ryzen 3000 really boosted it.

It will be available on july 7th.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

It looks decent, but i would recommend getting a r5 3600, the adobe has some problems with 1000 and 2000 series ryzen, because of the single core performance, but ryzen 3000 really boosted it.

It will be available on july 7th.

Estimated price?

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

Estimated price?

199$. So it is a little more expensive.

Another choice is to buy the r5 2600 on July 7th, because the price will be even lower then.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

199$. So it is a little more expensive.

Another choice is to buy the r5 2600 on July 7th, because the price will be even lower then.

She specifically wants to get this built before July. Unfortunately. And I'm reaaally trying not to go any higher on price. She's one office depot trip away from coming home with a POS all-in-one. And from what I've read, she shouldn't have problems with lightroom or photoshop. Premiere, maybe, but she's not going to be using that.

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Estimated price?

Just to add a 2nd opninion, for basic photo editing using PS the 2600 will do more than fine;

ram is more important and your list is already wuth 16gb so your good to go.

I didnt spot a monitor on the list; already have one? Go IPS (or at least not TN) type panel; that will make a world of difference color wise.

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

She specifically wants to get this built before July. Unfortunately. And I'm reaaally trying not to go any higher on price. She's one office depot trip away from coming home with a POS all-in-one. And from what I've read, she shouldn't have problems with lightroom or photoshop. Premiere, maybe, but she's not going to be using that.

Well in that case the r5 2600 is already pretty discounted. I have heard that there are some stores called "microcentre" or something like that in america/canada, that sell cpu+motherboard combos for real cheap if you go to there physically. So that might be worth a shot if you live near one.

But yeah the r5 2600 will do fine in those programs, i use first gen ryzen and while a little slow, all the programs work fine. The 2600 is certainly faster than the 1600.

4 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Just to add a 2nd opninion, for basic photo editing using PS the 2600 will do more than fine;

ram is more important and your list is already wuth 16gb so your good to go.

I didnt spot a monitor on the list; already have one? Go IPS (or at least not TN) type panel; that will make a world of difference color wise.

That's what I figured. No peripherals on this list. Fortunately, the aforementioned refurb gear shop in town can get her a 1080p IPS monitor for around $25. I also have a couple extras lying around that she can just use for the time being. I also have extra mouse and keyboard for her to use. She said she's "gonna buy a mouse and keyboard just like yours," I told her that mine came out to $200 for both and she said she's gonna do it anyway. So that's a thing. Eventually might get her a color graded monitor but just trying to get her started.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Well in that case the r5 2600 is already pretty discounted. I have heard that there are some stores called "microcentre" or something like that in america/canada, that sell cpu+motherboard combos for real cheap if you go to there physically. So that might be worth a shot if you live near one.

But yeah the r5 2600 will do fine in those programs, i use first gen ryzen and while a little slow, all the programs work fine. The 2600 is certainly faster than the 1600.

Nearest one is a 5 hour drive. Otherwise I would. 

Honestly, right now she has an old tiny laptop that barely even boots. It doesn't even have the resources to handle an online-based editor. So anything for her will be a step up. I just want to set her up with something decent that will last her for a few years or more. Trying to understand 1) she's not a tech person, so she doesn't understand specs, and 2) she will like it if it's pretty, so if I tell her, "Well this is pretty and will last you at least 5 years," she'll be happy with it. :P

intel + nvidia, have a good support on adobe family.

maybe can like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Case: Inwin - 101 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $869.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 11:16 EDT-0400

6 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

maybe can like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Going the AMD route because they work just as well for what she needs and have a better price to performance ratio. Also case is non-negotiable as she picked that out herself. And that price point is a bit too high.

It boils down to: if it's possible to build her a PC for cheaper than my initial list, or if there is a cheaper route to build that same PC, then by all means. But the price cannot go up at all. If anything, it needs to come down just a touch, since she is paying for the components.

32 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Going the AMD route because they work just as well for what she needs and have a better price to performance ratio. Also case is non-negotiable as she picked that out herself. And that price point is a bit too high.

It boils down to: if it's possible to build her a PC for cheaper than my initial list, or if there is a cheaper route to build that same PC, then by all means. But the price cannot go up at all. If anything, it needs to come down just a touch, since she is paying for the components.

Well because her needs are not that big you could build a r5 2400g build with no gpu, it would still be good.

But the 2600+ rx570 is really good value also.

1 hour ago, ahmad13610 said:

maybe can like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

Why the hell would you put a $150 cooler with a locked cpu ? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd suggest using a 2600X with its stock cooler rather than an expensive aio with a cpu that has to be overclocked.

Ryzen cpu do much better with faster memory.

A 650W psu is not needed, 450W is more than enough capacity.

Consider a better case with tempered glass side panel. The Focus G uses a more easily scratched plastic panel.

If you want some RGB, get a polychrome compatible addressable LED strip.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($179.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($87.92 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($78.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.85 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.16 @ Walmart) 
Total: $723.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 20:43 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($58.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.56 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($61.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Custom: DEEPCOOL RF120M 5x120mm RGB LED PWM Fans with Fan Hubs, Compatible with ASUS Aura Sync, No Wired Controller  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $728.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 22:51 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

This one hits all the check boxes you asked for and at the price your fiancé originally wanted.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $109.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $75.61 @ OutletPC
Memory OLOy - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $53.56 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $41.89 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $628.02
  Mail-in rebates -$55.00
  Total $573.02
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-15 23:43 EDT-0400