Need advice for someone studying to enter the Tech Industry.

Hi!

I am 19, and currently pursuing a degree in Business Information Technologies and wanting to enter a career in Tech. I am still finishing my basics and am going to be a sophomore this year, but I want to get as ahead in the game as much as I can. I am currently working for a small business managing their client database, making sales, and organizing schedules, but want to look into an internship during my Junior year. I have looked at some in my area (Dallas) and the only thing I seem to be missing is familiarization with programming languages (Java, C++, .net, etc.) which I know nothing about aside from what they are by definition and what they do. Is there any good certificate programs that will help fill some of these gaps for me? Also is there any advice people in that industry has for getting qualified in the best way possible and getting my foot in the door?

What do you enjoy with tech? What fascinates you and captures your interest?

Programming? Networking? General systems administration? etc..

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

What do you enjoy with tech? What fascinates you and captures your interest?

Programming? Networking? General systems administration? etc..

I love the tech inviroment it is just fascinating to me I very much want to be one of the guys pushing/creating the next best thing or being an important part of the process. I love the Idea of systems administration because that is what I do currently but that is with little experience elsewhere so that liking may be more out of that familiarity. I want to learn to program and am actually extremely interested in it, but do not know how to get into it and where to start without completely changing my degree which I am not interested in. I also want to make sure I am as marketable as possible and feel programming is the way to do that. 

4 minutes ago, boriquen19 said:

I love the tech inviroment it is just fascinating to me I very much want to be one of the guys pushing/creating the next best thing or being an important part of the process. I love the Idea of systems administration because that is what I do currently but that is with little experience elsewhere so that liking may be more out of that familiarity. I want to learn to program and am actually extremely interested in it, but do not know how to get into it and where to start without completely changing my degree which I am not interested in. I also want to make sure I am as marketable as possible and feel programming is the way to do that. 

From what I see Python and being able to interact with REST APIs, Netconf, Restconf, etc. are where I see a lot of the industry going but keep in mind, what I'm saying is all from a network engineer's perspective. For system admins knowing how to interact with those programs and different APIs is going to be key moving forward I think and being able to quickly bring things up to speed and deploy stuff quickly, network or not, is going to bring in demand. Another aspect with regards to certs would be anything security related, working towards a CISSP, etc. is all going to help you out as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm finishing up my degree right now, and over the course of it I've gotten the CompTIA A+, Security+ and Cloud Essentials certs and will be taking the Network+ exam this week. I have a cert for Windows 10 from Microsoft, as well. The most likely things to get you in the door of a company are Network+ and A+, and practical experience. If your program doesn't provide you with hands-on experience, I'd start looking for some way to get that either through your current job by taking on different responsibilities if they'll allow it, or look for an internship with a company more closely aligned to what you want to do.

I'm not gonna lie, my end-goal is to work at LTT ? so I may or may not really know what I'm doing but essentially just seek out every opportunity you can. There are a lot of free resources, too if you know your Google-fu ?

I've been in tech over a decade and honestly the most important thing you can do is illustrate your ability to pick up new talents on the fly.

If you want a software focused role, go to a coding bootcamp. Its blitzkrieg but totally worth it.

Java and Python are prolific so if you can get proficient in one of those, your BIT degree will be a great complement.