High end pc performs bad

Boisman

Hi, I have a relatively high end pc but have noticed recently that my pc has started to perform pretty bad in some games, battlefront 2 for example. I get around 60-80fps with drops going down to 40 at times, especially in galactic assault and more specifically Naboo, but in other maps as well. And on battlefield 5 I have never gotten above 60fps on high settings. I see other players with the same spec as mine with sometimes twice the FPS in games and I really wonder what in my pc that I need to change. My cpu is about 3 years old and my gpu is almost a year old. Thanks in advance!

My specs

CPU: i7-4790k

GPU: Asus gtx 1070

8gb ddr3 ram

Motherboard: Asrock B450m pro4 (pretty old model)

2 minutes ago, Boisman said:

My specs

CPU: i7-4790k

GPU: Asus gtx 1070

8gb ddr3 ram

Heres a couple things you might want to look at.

First off your CPU is 5 years old.

Second the motherboard you listed is a Ryzen motherboard from last year, not even compatible with Intel CPUs.

8GB of DDR3 is the bare minimum for gaming now, any modern AAA title is going to max that out very quickly.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Change your motherboard, you should see major gains. I'm surprised you haven't encountered any problems yet with incompatible motherboard running an i7 4790k.

I disagree with the above poster. 8GB should be just fine.

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

Change your motherboard, you should see major gains. I'm surprised you haven't encountered any problems yet with incompatible motherboard running an i7 4790k.

My apologies, my motherboard is called b85 pro4, not b450m, but yeah I have considered buying a new CPU to maybe a 9700k but idk if it is worth the money and if it will have a big difference, I think i would have to change the motherboard also if I were to change the CPU though 

15 minutes ago, Boisman said:

Do you mean Z97M Pro 4?

You haven't listed what resolution you're playing at, or if the CPU is overclocked.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

My apologies, my motherboard is called b85 pro4, not b450m, but yeah I have considered buying a new CPU to maybe a 9700k but idk if it is worth the money and if it will have a big difference, I think i would have to change the motherboard also if I were to change the CPU though 

There's your problem. You've got an unlocked CPU on a locked motherboard. You need to get a Z97 motherboard, a good cooler, and overclock that puppy. It should hit at least 4.6GHz easy. Mine is at 4.8GHz.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, Boisman said:

If you don't want to spend money to for some extra FPS, shouldn't do it, especially if you're trying to save money.

Lets work with what you have here and answer some questions if you would please.

What resolution are running in-game and your monitor size/resolution/hz?

Are you sure it's not PC related (PC clogged up/messy)?

If your PC is full of nasty drivers all over the place, have you consider a fresh install?

What is the OS your running?

What are your in-game settings in terms of Anti Alias, Vertical Syn, etc...

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you mean Z97M Pro 4?

You haven't listed what resolution you're playing at, or if the CPU is overclocked.

No b85 Pro4, like I said it is a pretty old model. I’m playing at 1920x1080 at 144hz. My CPU is not overclocked, and my gpu is overclocked a tiny bit, I can’t seem to push my gpu that much when overclocking, it just crashes after only +80 mhz 

4 minutes ago, Boisman said:

CPU’s get hammered on online multiplayer games. Rendering all of the people moving around causes the CPU to become a bottleneck. However, I would still instal a monitoring program like MSI afterburner to double check that your cpu is the issue. Also I would wait until ryzen 2 reviews come out before you do a platform upgrade to the 9700k.

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

If you don't want to spend money to for some extra FPS, shouldn't do it, especially if you're trying to save money.

Lets work with what you have here and answer some questions if you would please.

What resolution are running in-game and your monitor resolution/hz?

Are you sure it's not PC related (PC clogged up/messy)?

If your PC is full of nasty drivers all over the place, have you consider a fresh install?

What is the OS your running?

What are your in-game settings in terms of Anti Alias, Vertical Syn, etc...

1920x1080 @ 144hz, I clean my pc frequently and I only have like one game installed right now on my ssd and that is battlefront 2, in that game I’m running everything on ultra, vsync off, did a fresh install of my drivers yesterday but didn’t make any difference 

4 minutes ago, Boisman said:

No b85 Pro4, like I said it is a pretty old model. I’m playing at 1920x1080 at 144hz. My CPU is not overclocked, and my gpu is overclocked a tiny bit, I can’t seem to push my gpu that much when overclocking, it just crashes after only +80 mhz 

Well your CPU is absolutely the bottleneck, but unless you get a Z97 motherboard, you can't overclocks it. Keep in mind that upgrading the CPU also means upgrading the RAM and motherboard. A 9700k is also a waste of money when the Ryzen 3000 series is just around the corner. Buy a used Z97 motherboard from eBay and get a decent cooler for now.

4 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

CPU’s get hammered on online multiplayer games. Rendering all of the people moving around causes the CPU to become a bottleneck. However, I would still instal a monitoring program like MSI afterburner to double check that your cpu is the issue. Also I would wait until ryzen 2 reviews come out before you do a platform upgrade to the 9700k.

Okay, yeah I read somewhere that my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu by 14% or something, the cpu usage is also very high in games, often at 80-90%

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well your CPU is absolutely the bottleneck, but unless you get a Z97 motherboard, you can't overclocks it. Keep in mind that upgrading the CPU also means upgrading the RAM and motherboard. A 9700k is also a waste of money when the Ryzen 3000 series is just around the corner. Buy a used Z97 motherboard from eBay and get a decent cooler for now.

So you’re suggesting that I buy a new motherboard and cooler and then overclock my cpu?

9 minutes ago, Boisman said:

1920x1080 @ 144hz, I clean my pc frequently and I only have like one game installed right now on my ssd and that is battlefront 2, in that game I’m running everything on ultra, vsync off, did a fresh install of my drivers yesterday but didn’t make any difference 

Tinker with your in-game settings and nVidia settings. More often than not, it's literally just the game with some sort of interface issue, etc... that causes the FPS drops dramatically, regardless if you have a highend PC or not. I would start searching the game forums for some clues and answers to the dramatic FPS drop. Sometimes the community have a bandaid fix to the problem. If this is the case, usually it's on the developers to fix the issue.

If the dramatic FPS drops is happen across all your games, then something is off with your settings, GPU related, thus trying to solve the problem per overclocking will only be a temporarily fix til a bigger problem starts showing up down the road.

Just now, Boisman said:

So you’re suggesting that I buy a new motherboard and cooler and then overclock my cpu?

Yes, although it doesn't need to be new. Check eBay and local sellers for a used Z97. For a quick and dirty overclock, I'd give it 1.29V and increase the multiplier to 46. That should give you a significant performance boost.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes, although it doesn't need to be new. Check eBay and local sellers for a used Z97. For a quick and dirty overclock, I'd give it 1.29V and increase the multiplier to 46. That should give you a significant performance boost.

Okay I’ll start by doing that, I’ll come back in a couple of days for the results, thank you very much!

24 minutes ago, c00face said:

Most new AAA titles including BF II require 16GB of ram for running anything over High settings. Any new AAA title will have 8GB as the minimum for being able to run the game below medium settings at 1080p or lower. 8GB ram has been a minum requirement since late 2015, I've upgraded several PCs in the last year alone where the reason they had performance issues was they only had 8GB of ram and were being held back by it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I just disagree with this. His CPU and GTX 1070 can run those games high end just fine. Overclocking CPU to gain some punitive FPS to possibly another problem is just asking for trouble.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Most new AAA titles including BF II require 16GB of ram for running anything over High settings. Any new AAA title will have 8GB as the minimum for being able to run the game below medium settings at 1080p or lower. 8GB ram has been a minum requirement since late 2015, I've upgraded several PCs in the last year alone where the reason they had performance issues was they only had 8GB of ram and were being held back by it.

Wouldn't hurt to buy extra ram sticks of those DDR3. He could pick some up for fairly cheap prices.

@Boisman

Start with expansion of your ram stick. Since they are DDR3, you can find cheap prices for them on ebay, etc...

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

Wouldn't hurt to buy extra ram sticks of those DDR3. He could pick some up for fairly cheap prices.

@Boisman

Start with expansion of your ram stick. Since they are DDR3, you can find cheap prices for them on ebay, etc...

Not ddr4?

1 minute ago, Boisman said:

Not ddr4?

DDR4 isn't compatible with your board or CPU.

Not ddr4?

LG Socket 1150 isn't compatible with DDR4. If you want DDR4, you'll need to buy a new motherboard with the correct socket 1151 and new CPU. DDR3 is great and works fine and it's fairly cheap.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

DDR4 isn't compatible with your board or CPU.

Oh ok

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's not really true. 8GB is still enough. It's just not enough if you're running stuff like Chrome in the background.

@Boisman Your platform is completely outdated other than adding another stick of DDR3 ram it isn't worth putting any other money into. If I were you I'd upgrade to a more modern platform as soon as you can.