Upgrade a CPU on PC

Hello,

I've got a question. I currently have a PC with an I3-6100 3,70GHz with the 1151 socket. 

I was wondering if I can upgrade this CPU to something with a 1151 socket. For example a better I5 processor or even I7. 

If this is possible what would be the steps required?

Thank you in advance :) 

i7 7700K, but that thing is hot so you might need to buy a decent cooler too

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

Sure, provided your power supply can handle it (it probably does) and the CPU isn't soldered in for some reason - what exactly are your current specs? Is this a prebuilt?

The steps would simply be

1. obtain a higher end cpu (I think you can get up to a 7700k in there though you might need a bios update - I'd stay on the safe side and get a 6000 series cpu)
  2. carefully remove your cpu cooler and your cpu from the motherboard
  3. insert the new cpu
  4. reapply thermal paste and mount the cooler
  5. profit

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, SeraphicWings said:

i7 7700K, but that thing is hot so you might need to buy a decent cooler too

Right so it is possible to change the CPU without a big hassle

you got the ram and all other setup. just change the mobo too and get a ryzen or something

4 minutes ago, tzebe_tzebe1 said:

Right so it is possible to change the CPU without a big hassle

what are your current specs? Is this a prebuilt PC, or did you build it yourself?

Since you don't know what is involved in changing a CPU, I'm going to "guess" this is a prebuild PC.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

3 minutes ago, MadPistol said:

what are your current specs? Is this a prebuilt PC, or did you build it yourself?

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sure, provided your power supply can handle it (it probably does) and the CPU isn't soldered in for some reason - what exactly are your current specs? Is this a prebuilt?

The steps would simply be

1. obtain a higher end cpu (I think you can get up to a 7700k in there though you might need a bios update - I'd stay on the safe side and get a 6000 series cpu)
  2. carefully remove your cpu cooler and your cpu from the motherboard
  3. insert the new cpu
  4. reapply thermal paste and mount the cooler
  5. profit

This isn't a prebuilt one. My specs are: 

IMG-20161108-WA0001.jpg

8 minutes ago, tzebe_tzebe1 said:

This isn't a prebuilt one. My specs are: 

IMG-20161108-WA0001.jpg

Oh then you can definitely upgrade, no problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

with a bios update u could probably get a 7000 cpu on it but its noy worth it imo. sell cpu and mobo and get a 9 series or wair for ryzen 3000

11 hours ago, Chev Chelios said:

with a bios update u could probably get a 7000 cpu on it but its noy worth it imo. sell cpu and mobo and get a 9 series or wair for ryzen 3000

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

Oh then you can definitely upgrade, no problem.

Alright thank you !!!

I'm getting rid of my 7700k in July due to the chips high temperatures and inability to keep up with my RTX 2080. If your planning on getting the K version to overclock be aware that you will have to delid and buy a substantial cooler to keep temperatures down. I thought I'd let you know so your not disappointed like I am when you can't overclock something you paid for.

If I were you I'd just wait for Ryzen next month and see what the benchmarks look like and you could get yourself a better CPU. Just my opinion anyway based on my experience with this chip.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: RTX 2080 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3000MHz Motherboard: Z270 MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM SSD: Samsung 850EVO Cooler: Corsair 100X PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT H500

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, DisguisedMonkey said:

I'm getting rid of my 7700k in July due to the chips high temperatures and inability to keep up with my RTX 2080. If your planning on getting the K version to overclock be aware that you will have to delid and buy a substantial cooler to keep temperatures down. I thought I'd let you know so your not disappointed like I am when you can't overclock something you paid for.

If I were you I'd just wait for Ryzen next month and see what the benchmarks look like and you could get yourself a better CPU. Just my opinion anyway based on my experience with this chip.

Thank you very much!!