Can't boot into windows more than once?

XTankSlayerX

Hey guys 

Specs:

Some Asrock board (will get model tomorrow) 

R9 380

Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb

TX750w psu

X2 ssds X3 HDDS (irrelevant) 

What's happening is:

Earlier my friend restarted their computer, only to have it freeze on the windows boot logo with the spinning circles, then it the computer turns off. 

Windows boots in safe mode, but not normally. 

We tried a bunch of various edits and repairs with cmd, but nothing works. We even tried installing windows on a new never used hard drive and the same thing happens. 

We tried leaving out one of the sticks of ram, same thing. 

I'm thinking this could be a motherboard issue? 

Dunno what i missed... Will update when I wake up...

Thanks

what you could do is try the boot drive on a different machine and see if it can boot of it.

If it boots in safe mode then I'd suggest you pull all non essential hardware and start testing everything one at a time because it's something that requires a driver that's causing the issue.

My guess would be more than likely the GPU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, XTankSlayerX said:

I'm thinking this could be a motherboard issue? 

Could be everything...

Even PSU is possible as you have possibly a 12 Year or so old PSU. When the caps are done, freezing might happen.

What equipment do you have to test the System?
Only the parts listed or do you have known good parts from another system?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

if it boots into safe mode, doubt its a hardware issue. sounds more like corrupted windows. this solution has worked a few times for me, try disconnecting the windows hdd and connecting it to another system and do a chkdsk to scan and fix for errors. worked for me like 40% of the time

8 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

if it boots into safe mode, doubt its a hardware issue. sounds more like corrupted windows. this solution has worked a few times for me, try disconnecting the windows hdd and connecting it to another system and do a chkdsk to scan and fix for errors. worked for me like 40% of the time

Booting in safe mode but not in normal mode actually indicates a hardware issue. Safe mode doesn't load drivers so any faulty hardware won't be initialised.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)