Cleaning graphics card help

Naxy
Go to solution Solved by boey,
1 hour ago, Naxy said:

This is the link to the information about my GPU https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=e466f076-3e8f-4825-b4b0-f1863e893972

For the thermal paste, I do have some ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Paste. Would that work or do you need a different kind for a GPU?

Also, I have watched that video before I noticed he used alcoholic wipes for the board of the GPU, is that needed? Like I do have some isopropyl alcohol 99%. Could I just dab some on a microfiber cloth and then wipe the board?

Thanks!

-MX-4 is fine.

-Dabbing Isopropyl Alcohol on a microfiber cloth is actually better than using alcoholic wipes, so I’d recommend that. 

-If you live in a humid environment you might need wet cotton swabs to get in some nooks and crannys, because the dust will be slightly moist and stick to the GPU

Hi all

So I was cleaning the inside of my system and noticed that past my GPU fans there seemed to be a fair amount of dust. Though it is in a location where I cannot access very easily (my GPU is a NIVIDA Gtx 1060 6GB). How hard is it to take the covering off of the GPU to clean inside it? Are there any concerns I should worry about if I were to clean inside my GPU? Any particular cleaning supplies would be good for the cleaning of the GPU?

Note; I haven't cleaned the inside of my GPU since I got it over 2 years ago. I have cleaned the fans from time to time.

Any info and suggestions would be great!

It varies by GPU, but overall the process is very similar card to card.

This video does a decent job of explaining how to take a GPU apart:

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Hi all

So I was cleaning the inside of my system and noticed that past my GPU fans there seemed to be a fair amount of dust. Though it is in a location where I cannot access very easily (my GPU is a NIVIDA Gtx 1060 6GB). How hard is it to take the covering off of the GPU to clean inside it? Are there any concerns I should worry about if I were to clean inside my GPU? Any particular cleaning supplies would be good for the cleaning of the GPU?

Note; I haven't cleaned the inside of my GPU since I got it over 2 years ago. I have cleaned the fans from time to time.

Any info and suggestions would be great!

What exact model is it? For most GPUs you just unscrew the cooler from the backplate, then carefully remove the cooler and unplug the fan cable(be careful not to break this, it would be holding the cooler and the rest of the gpu). Then clean the thermal paste off with isopropyl alcohol, clean the cooler with a compressed air can, reapply thermal paste and do the opposite of taking the cooler of

I'd strongly strongly recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the Thermal paste, it's just about the best you can get that's not conductive. Not conductive means you don't have to be too careful with applying thermal paste

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It varies by GPU, but overall the process is very similar card to card.

This video does a decent job of explaining how to take a GPU apart:

Thanks! I will give this video a watch! 

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

What exact model is it? For most GPUs you just unscrew the cooler from the backplate, then carefully remove the cooler and unplug the fan cable(be careful not to break this, it would be holding the cooler and the rest of the gpu). Then clean the thermal paste off with isopropyl alcohol, clean the cooler with a compressed air can, reapply thermal paste and do the opposite of taking the cooler of

I'd strongly strongly recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the Thermal paste, it's just about the best you can get that's not conductive. Not conductive means you don't have to be too careful with applying thermal paste

This is the link to the information about my GPU https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=e466f076-3e8f-4825-b4b0-f1863e893972

For the thermal paste, I do have some ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Paste. Would that work or do you need a different kind for a GPU?

Also, I have watched that video before I noticed he used alcoholic wipes for the board of the GPU, is that needed? Like I do have some isopropyl alcohol 99%. Could I just dab some on a microfiber cloth and then wipe the board?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Naxy said:

Thanks!

-MX-4 is fine.

-Dabbing Isopropyl Alcohol on a microfiber cloth is actually better than using alcoholic wipes, so I’d recommend that. 

-If you live in a humid environment you might need wet cotton swabs to get in some nooks and crannys, because the dust will be slightly moist and stick to the GPU

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

-MX-4 is fine.

Ok great! Thanks for the information and help. I haven't cleaned out my GPU  since I got it, so I think a little clean will do it some good. :)

Thanks!