CPU air cooling solution for Corsair Crystal 280x

Hi guys, I'm planing to build my next rig in a Corsair Crystal 280x next month and I personaly would like to air cool the CPU.

As far as I know is that the CPU cooler height is limited to 150mm.

The best I could find so far is the Dark Rock TF from bequiet.

My question is, is there any better (and quiet) solution to cool a i5-9600k in this case? And is there any downside in using a top-down cooler?

There will be 2 Corsair LL 120mm fans in the front and at the top for airflow.

I'm using a Noctua U9S and, it cools my 2700x pretty well with an all core 4.025 OC.

It gets a little toasty when I hit it with Aida64 but, in normal use, it handles the CPU no problem.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Dark rock TF is more or less the best cooler you can get. 

Thanks for the fast response, I think I stick with the Dark Rock TF.

Watercooling is fancy but for me it comes with to much extra trouble, cost more and you get same/similar temeratures and noise levels.

A downdraft cooler would be more appropriate in a case where the side panel is ventilated instead of a solid TG panel.

What cpu are you cooling? Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A downdraft cooler would be more appropriate in a case where the side panel is ventilated instead of a solid TG panel.

What cpu are you cooling? Where are you shopping / located?

I'm cooling a i5-9600k and I'd like to buy everything from the german amazon. 

3 minutes ago, Anacondris said:

I'm cooling a i5-9600k and I'd like to buy everything from the german amazon. 

It's not particularly well-priced atm but the Fuma Rev. B would probably be better: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ffKhP6/scythe-fuma-revb-790-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-1100

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, Anacondris said:

looks interesting but I think I would feel uncomfortable with only 1mm between cooler and the glass panel 

Why? And more than likely to be more room than that 150mm.

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

Why? And more than likely to be more room than that 150mm.

I'm not sure how much more room there would be since there's a build log on PCPartPicker with the Freezer 33 eSports ONE without a photo of the side panel installed. It doesn't explicitly state it not fitting though. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bgHhP6

That being said, the Fuma Rev. B specs state a height of 149mm and not 150mm so it should fit just fine. 

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure how much more room there would be since there's a build log on PCPartPicker with the Freezer 33 eSports ONE without a photo of the side panel installed. It doesn't explicitly state it not fitting though. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bgHhP6

That being said, the Fuma Rev. B specs state a height of 149mm and not 150mm so it should fit just fine. 

looks very tight, but good to know to have a valid tower cooler option
also good to see that someone managed to get an even bigger graphics card in there than mine 1080 asus strix I already own

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I just measured and, there's about 14,5 cm space from the motherboard to the side panel so, I don't think that would fit.

My NH-U9S is 125 cm tall and, it's about 3 cm away from the side window. (2,5 if you count in the heat pipe caps as well)

Nevermind I'm an idiot, there is actually 15 cm space from the motherboard.

Edited by Cyberspirit

55 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I just measured and, there's about 14,5 cm space from the motherboard to the side panel so, I don't think that would fit.

My NH-U9S is 125 cm tall and, it's about 3 cm away from the side window. (2,5 if you count in the heat pipe caps as well)

125mm + 25mm = 150mm. I'm not seeing how you measured 145mm. 

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

125mm + 25mm = 150mm. I'm not seeing how you measured 145mm. 

Yeah sorry, the ruler I measured with has dead space on it and, for some reason I just ignored it.

• 11 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, Anacondris said:

Hi guys, I'm planing to build my next rig in a Corsair Crystal 280x next month and I personaly would like to air cool the CPU.

As far as I know is that the CPU cooler height is limited to 150mm.

The best I could find so far is the Dark Rock TF from bequiet.

My question is, is there any better (and quiet) solution to cool a i5-9600k in this case? And is there any downside in using a top-down cooler?

There will be 2 Corsair LL 120mm fans in the front and at the top for airflow.

Did you end up fitting a Dark Rock TF with both fans in your 280x? I'm currently looking for an air cooling solution for my system. I am curious because their website lists it around 159mm tall. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, BISONBOT94 said:

Did you end up fitting a Dark Rock TF with both fans in your 280x? I'm currently looking for an air cooling solution for my system. I am curious because their website lists it around 159mm tall. Thanks in advance!

Please don't revive old thread like this. This has been dead for almost year. Post your own thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv