Surface Pro 6 vs Surface Laptop

Upgrading from a Surface Pro 5 with an Core m3, I need a more powerful machine to handle office work with multiple Chrome windows open at the same time using an external monitor. The m3 is kind of slow especially when opening files and chrome so I want a speedier machine. I already have the Surface type cover and the pen.

Now, the Surface Pro 6 with an i5-8250u with 128GB storage costs basically as much as a Surface Laptop with an i7-7660u + 256GB on Amazon where I live. I know that the i5 is a quad core while the i7 is a dual core, and that the 256GB SSD is vastly faster than the 128GB model. Userbenchmark,com suggests that the i5 is about 20% faster than the i7 as well in terms of multi-core performance.

My instinct tells me to get the Surface Pro 6 simply because it is a quad-core, but I'm unsure if the slow 128GB SSD is a good idea. Size of storage isn't a problem as this is my secondary machine and I have a NAS at home and at work. I can live with my new machine being either a tablet or a laptop. I would love to know if it is possible to tell a difference between using the i5 and the i7. 

Any help is appreciated.

I'd get the Pro 6. Besides boot up times, I doubt you'll notice the difference in SSD speed.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Why must it be Surface?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

14 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Why must it be Surface?

going to guess it's because

51 minutes ago, deoxir said:

I already have the Surface type cover and the pen.

Recently got myself an i5 pro 6, extremely happy with it, i would say the extra cores vs the extra 128GB is absolutely worth it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'd get the Pro 6. Besides boot up times, I doubt you'll notice the difference in SSD speed.

That's basically what I'm wondering, whether I can notice that difference. I guess for my use case I won't even need that kind of read/write speed.

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Why must it be Surface?

Well, I just like its magnesium body and the overall build quality. I am acutely aware of the flaws of the Surface lineup but I still like it a lot. Though, I'm open to suggestions, if you think there are better alternatives! FYI the two Surface machines I have mentioned can be found at around 800 USD.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Recently got myself an i5 pro 6, extremely happy with it, i would say the extra cores vs the extra 128GB is absolutely worth it

Nice! If you don't mind me ask, how long does it take for you to open a Chrome window and finish loading the landing page (or the tabs page, whatever it is called) on start-up? On my pro 5 m3, it takes about 3-4 seconds before it goes from blank to showing my recent tabs and the search bar, which is unbearably slow for a 2017 machine. Any improvement is a win to me basically.

3 hours ago, deoxir said:

Nice! If you don't mind me ask, how long does it take for you to open a Chrome window and finish loading the landing page (or the tabs page, whatever it is called) on start-up? On my pro 5 m3, it takes about 3-4 seconds before it goes from blank to showing my recent tabs and the search bar, which is unbearably slow for a 2017 machine. Any improvement is a win to me basically.

dont use chrome, use Brave.

it's also like 1 second from double clicking on the icon to open and usable.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

dont use chrome, use Brave.

it's also like 1 second from double clicking on the icon to open and usable.

That's pretty nice! Never heard of Brave, but I'll look into it. Thanks a lot for your help!