Can I use Strix Backplate as a Radiator?

Hi,

i have asus strix vega 64 and its getting hot, 70s on core and HBM and 90s in VRM, i change thermal paste to thermal grizzly krayonout and pars but still they are getting hot as room temp can reach 30s.

i noticed that the backplate gets extremely hot to even touch, i was thinking of gettings heastinks and attach them to the Backplate to cool down the backplate and might also cool down other parts.

what do you think?

Screenshot_20190607-154446.png

30 c is a very hot room do u have decent case airflow and yes why not maybe it helps the heatsinks are cheap af worth a try 

2 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

30 c is a very hot room do u have decent case airflow and yes why not maybe it helps the heatsinks are cheap af worth a try 

its p3 case so its open case.

Just now, Khader87 said:

its p3 case so its open case.

Do u maybe have a extra fan that could blow air on the backplate and see if it helps 

70 at the core isn't the end of the world.  Most air cards will hit 70 under load. 

Considering your rt is on the high side, I'd be okay with 70 on the chip.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

70 at the core isn't the end of the world.  Most air cards will hit 70 under load. 

Considering your rt is on the high side, I'd be okay with 70 on the chip.

the core is not the Problem its the vrm thats hot 

5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Do u maybe have a extra fan that could blow air on the backplate and see if it helps 

its like u r sitting with me. i have 2 fans blowing air on the backplate reducing hotspot and vrm temps about 5c

1 minute ago, Khader87 said:

its like u r sitting with me. i have 2 fans blowing air on the backplate reducing hotspot and vrm temps about 5c

mhh if u already have fans blowing on it go with the heatsinks they are cheap worth a try more surface area is always better :D

18 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

the core is not the Problem its the vrm thats hot 

I wouldn't lose sleep over 90. It sounds like OP has done what he should (replace pads and paste) for the card.  If it was over 100, I'd be concerned.  These cards are known for their thermal issues.  

23 minutes ago, Velcade said:

I wouldn't lose sleep over 90. It sounds like OP has done what he should (replace pads and paste) for the card.  If it was over 100, I'd be concerned.  These cards are known for their thermal issues.  

90 with fans blowing on it is not great and if he can lower it with some cheap heat sinks why not ^^ sure 90 will not kill it instant but if he wants to use it for a long time 70/80 is better :D

5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

90 with fans blowing on it is not great and if he can lower it with some cheap heat sinks why not ^^ sure 90 will not kill it instant but if he wants to use it for a long time 70/80 is better :D

Absolutely.  Cheap heat sinks could pull off a couple degrees.  It's easy to become obsessed with temps; I was just saying 90 isn't the end of the world.

I’ve had cards read between 60-80c on the backplate. 

I try to get better airflow in the case. 

But those could work, I put water blocks on mine. Down to 30c on them. And that with cards with actual components on the back that need cooling just like the front. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz