i5-4690K Problems...clock speed always the same?

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

3.50 GHz is the default speed for the Core i5-4690K. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80811/intel-core-i5-4690k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

To go higher than this, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled within the processor.  Make sure you are using the latest bios for this motherboard and make sure Turbo Boost is enabled in the bios.

There are 2 things that control the minimum CPU speed when idle.  If you want the CPU to go under 3.50 GHz, the Non Turbo Ratio needs to be set to 0 and in the Windows Power Options, the Minimum processor state has to be set to a low number.  Default is 5% when using the Windows Balanced power profile.

I started cleaning a computer for a friend of mine and decided to do some baseline benchmarking before I cleaned it, just to see if we'd pick up any performance gain from cleaning and reapplication of thermal paste on CPU/GPU. (It's dirty enough to make me think it might be throttling, and is still using thermal paste that he put on over 5 years ago...)  As I got into said benchmarking, I noticed it was sitting at 3.5Ghz all the time, this is reflected by task manager and MSI Afterburner both.  He is running an i5-4690K in an MSI Z97 PC Mate mobo.  I don't know anything really about this board and I don't know a ton about Haswell either, but I thought they were supposed to drop their clocks when idling...and it doesn't.  According to task manager, CPU usage at idle with everything closed is about 0-1%.  Even so, it stays at 3.5Ghz, and doesn't change at all, up or down.  It stays at 3.5 when idling, running Cinebench, opening programs, AIDA64, everything I have tried.  Afterburner just shows a straight line for all four CPU cores at 3.5Ghz.  It doesn't Turbo up past 3.5, and it doesn't idle below 3.5.  I don't know what to look for at this point, all settings in BIOS are on Auto or enabled, he's never OC'd it, so all the settings in BIOS are stock.  I thought about maybe trying a fresh Windows install or running it off one of the drives I have laying around, but I figured I'd ask here first.  Am I missing something?  What should I look for?  Any help is appreciated, thanks!

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80811/intel-core-i5-4690k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

To go higher than this, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled within the processor.  Make sure you are using the latest bios for this motherboard and make sure Turbo Boost is enabled in the bios.

There are 2 things that control the minimum CPU speed when idle.  If you want the CPU to go under 3.50 GHz, the Non Turbo Ratio needs to be set to 0 and in the Windows Power Options, the Minimum processor state has to be set to a low number.  Default is 5% when using the Windows Balanced power profile.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Thank you! The minimum processor state in Windows Power Options was set to 99%.  It now throttles down to about 800Mhz like it should...and I was able to get it to an all-core Turbo of 3.7Ghz. Much appreciated!