Unlocking power limit 95W in 9900K can we call overclocking?

Hello. I have.

9900K stock turbo 4.7 auto settings in uefi. Voltages are on auto.

Also mtboard: Asus Prime Z390-A.

So to keep all the time 4.7ghz in Realbench i must max out Short Power Duration and Long in uefi.

On auto clock are dipping to 4.3 etc+- in realbench.

But in games i dont must to do that, in games i have 4700mhz always.

My question is that , we can call this OC if i force to run cpu above 95W? And voltages will be the same with or without power limit maxed?

Thank you for posts. Cheers. Seweryn from Poland.

DOnt look at my picture i always have that scary eyes when messing in bios :)

I was a big noob,now the same noob a little less :)

2 minutes ago, worry said:

Hello. I have.

9900K stock turbo 4.7 auto settings in uefi. Voltages are on auto.

Also mtboard: Asus Prime Z390-A.

So to keep all the time 4.7ghz in Realbench i must max out Short Power Duration and Long in uefi.

On auto clock are dipping to 4.3 etc+- in realbench.

But in games i dont must to do that, in games i have 4700mhz always.

My question is that , we can call this OC if i force to run cpu above 95W? And voltages will be the same with or without power limit maxed?

Thank you for posts. Cheers. Seweryn from Poland.

DOnt look at my picture i always have that scary eyes when messing in bios :)

Overclocking is anytime that you adjust the clock multiplier, or other settings that allows the CPU to operate at speeds beyond specifications, by definition, removing the power limit is not overclocking, but doing so will allow you to achieve higher overclocks, or clock speeds in Ghz, over the specified limit.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Overclocking is anytime that you adjust the clock multiplier, or other settings that allows the CPU to operate at speeds beyond specifications, by definition, removing the power limit is not overclocking, but doing so will allow you to achieve higher overclocks, or clock speeds in Ghz, over the specified limit.

Oki so why mobo or intel stock is 95W designed? If yes on all cores in max TDP there will be clock beyond boost.

Oki just need more read :)

4 minutes ago, worry said:

Oki so why mobo or intel stock is 95W designed? If yes on all cores in max TDP there will be clock beyond boost.

That 95W TDP or Thermal Design Power, is a metric that Intel produces for it's partners, and system integrators so that they know what to thermally design their builds for while achieving the stock clocks of Intel's processors, or most of the power that these processors can produce. Now to be able to push unlocked processors such as your 9900k to it's limit, you are going to need more power, and by extension heat, and cooling capacity, and since Intel specified the 9900k as being a 95 watt processor, many builds may not have the thermal overhead to allow the 9900k to draw that much power, so your MOBO manufacturer, in this case ASUS added a default 95 watt limit option to prevent the 9900k from potentially overheating and losing performance, as that poor performance may reflect badly on ASUS. Now if you have that thermal overhead, and turn of that limit, you can start to overclock the 9900k more aggresively, or basically mess around with the clock speed multiplier pushing the clocks higher, allowing you to maintain a higher overclock. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

95W TDP is rated for the base clock of 3.6GHz

Any boost clocks above that is not overcklocking but its not 95W TDP either. The power obviously goes much higher with higher boost clocks.

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

95W TDP is rated for the base clock of 3.6GHz

Any boost clocks above that is not overcklocking but its not 95W TDP either. The power obviously goes much higher with higher boost clocks.

So if i have all settings on auto with 95 TDP why on realbench i have dips to 4.3-4.6 ghz+- but on Battlefield 5 steady 4700mhz?
All auto,MCE AUTO. Power limits AUTO. Temps are low 60s

1 minute ago, worry said:

So if i have all settings on auto with 95 TDP why on realbench i have dips to 4.3-4.6 ghz+- but on Battlefield 5 steady 4700mhz?
All auto,MCE AUTO. Power limits AUTO. Temps are low 60s

because your CPU has enough thermal headroom to boost itself to those clocks, thus going above base clocks which means, going above 95W TDP

As @Wh0_Am_1said. TDP does not mean POWER LIMIT.