Dell G5 5590 running hot

criberg

Hey guys!

I noticed that my G5 runs extremely hot.

Last week I played Diablo 3 on rather low-mid settings even though I could run it much higher.

I got an i7-8750H, RTX 2060 and 16gb RAM.

Yesterday I tried to undervolt the processor (-200mV on the processor itself and -145mV on the Cache). I used ThrottleStop for this.

But after running Prime95 a few minutes the temps were still at 95° and even spiked the 100° one time. 

I'm looking for additional tips for what I can do further now. I thought about changing the thermal paste but I'm not sure if that is against my guarantee guidelines.. Tommorow I'm contacting Dell I think, I got a free year of premium support though.

But maybe some of you guys can give me some ideas for solutions.

I thought about changing the paste, but I got my doubts about loosing guarantee..

• 6 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 2:51 PM, criberg said:

I thought about changing the paste, but I got my doubts about loosing guarantee..

I have the G5 i7 9750H/GTX 1660 Ti version. Same overheating issue (latest bios and drivers at the time of this reply). I've changed the thermal paste with Cooler Master Gel Maker Nano (no warranty voided, I've checked with Dell Brazil) about 2 months ago. The effect is minor, only a couple of degrees less than with the original thermal paste. Undervolting the CPU with Intel XTU has minor effects too, the CPU keeps thermal throttling at 100 degrees celsius, even under controlled temperature (air conditioner). Repasting with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is going to be my last effort.

Monitor: ROG Swift PG278Q GSync 144Hz 27' 1440p

CPU: i7 9700K @5.0GHz 1.288V

GPU: ROG STRIX RTX 3080

Cooler: Corsair H115i

MDB: ROG STRIX Z390-E

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR4 @3400MHz

Case: Cooler Master C700P

Storage: 2x WD BLACK SN750 500GB | 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB | 1x Samsung EVO 256 GB

Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum

Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Speed

PSU: Corsair RM850i 850W