58x? 6xx? ??? ?

JabroniBaloney

I'm looking to maybe get some new headphones. I currently have a pair of AKG K7xx and HD 558. 

The AKGs were great when I was playing PUBG or anything similar, but I don't really play anything like that and they're just ok for music, to me. 

Now, I'm getting back into guitar/bass and going to be playing far too much Classic WoW. So, what's an awesome pair for long listening of music/podcasts and way amateur recording?

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

Do you have a nice dac amp? 

Yes. I have a JDS Labs Atom and Behringer 204HD. 

I am currently trying to decide between the 58x and 6xx and have spent a lot of time today looking at reviews trying to decided. This video  is one of the best comparisons between the two that I have found.

I have come across a couple of reviews (sorry i couldn't find them to include links)  that specifically mentioned the 6xx being good for hearing guitar because of the added clarity over the 58x. For your use,  based off of the reviews I have seen, I would say go with the 6xx since you already have a dac (which is needed for the 6xx) and you do get a slight improvement in audio. However if price is a major concern the 58x are pretty similar and most reviews did mention that if you are not listening to them side by side and take a break in between listening to them it is very difficult to tell a difference.

For myself, I think I will be getting the 58x because I don't currently have a dac so I will be able to at least get away with not having one for now and I think the slight difference in sound will probably be lost on me since I will be using them for gaming, youtube, and streaming music. The most important part for me was the price, with the $60 price difference it was hard to justify for a slight improvement + then having to buy a dac. 

At the end of the day the best thing to do is look up reviews, see what people say and then see which set describes you the best.

2 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Yes. I have a JDS Labs Atom and Behringer 204HD. 

I would say if you want soemthing with more body to the low end better sound stage and imaging the 58x are the pick but if you want something more intimate highlighting the highs and mids the 6xx are better. since you already have a 7xx so I doubt you would want something for gaming. gaming or not I ended up picking the 58x becuase I liked the wider soundstage and the more accurate imaging coupled with the accurate more present low end. 

but the 6xx is excellent if you ever decide to go with a tube amp they scale very well with amps. 

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

I would say if you want soemthing with more body to the low end better sound stage and imaging the 58x are the pick but if you want something more intimate highlighting the highs and mids the 6xx are better. since you already have a 7xx so I doubt you would want something for gaming. gaming or not I ended up picking the 58x becuase I liked the wider soundstage and the more accurate imaging coupled with the accurate more present low end. 

I've heard the 58x has a fairly narrow soundstage. But it does sound like the better option.

Just now, JabroniBaloney said:

I've heard the 58x has a fairly narrow soundstage. But it does sound like the better option.

It's narrow but definitely wider than the 6xx. It can get a bit wider if you do the foam removal mod to it.