Opinions on temperatures with Mini-ITX build

Kingslayer Kyle

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Managed to pick up some cheap parts along with a mini ITX case that I bought to use as a media centre for the living room along with some occasional gaming.

Specs:

CPU: i5-3470 (Got this for £25, Roughly $30 which isn't bad in my opinion seeing as It's more than enough for what I need it for.)

CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR11, Did try a bunch of coolers before hand but none would fit due to the clearance of the PCIE lane on my motherboard being right next to the CPU socket. So pretty much had a choice of this and the Noctua L9i, I know the Noctua is a lot quieter at the expense of being only a couple of degrees hotter but I don't care about sound as the TV will more than likely always be louder than the system itself anyways. So opted to go for best temps with the AR11. 

GPU: Zotac GTX1060 6GB (Mini version)

Case: Silverstone SG13B

PSU: Corsair RM750 (A spare I had)

Front fan: Corsair (Looks like an AF style, 140mm- Only 1 fan is supported by the case, Currently have it in-taking air, It's a spare I used that I took out of my Corsair 750D when I bought replacements for that.)

Just put it all together and ran Valley Benchmark and here are the results:

CPU temperature: 73c

GPU temperature: 82-83c

Frame rates are fine and as I'm using a TV&monitor @ 60Hz the GPU does well to keep the frames above 60 nearly all of the time, for everything that I've threw at it up to yet.

I'm obviously not surprised that It's so hot considering the size of the case which is a Silverstone SG13B but wondering on people's opinions and if it'll be safe to keep it operating under these temperatures permanently. (Well, whilst playing games of course)

I've read some mixed opinions online about how hot pascal "should" get and how hot It's "safe" to be at, at a constant whilst gaming.

So just wondering if any temperature experts know anything that could help or if It's performing as expected. Or if anybody else has any experiences using the Silverstone SG13B.

Thanks in advance for any replys :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

54 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Yeah, it runs pretty hot on benchmarks, but what about on normal use? Because I don't know if you are really going to squeeze all the hardware with a media centre

Idle it sits at around 35-40 for the CPU and 40-45 for the GPU

26 minutes ago, campy said:

If thats all i peaks at with synthetic load then thats fine.

Run a cpuz/furmark at the same time for an hour or more. To simulate the air in the case heating up. If it can go that entire time without topping any obscene temps then all is well.

Make sure your PSU is taking in air from the top of the case, even if your SG13b is one of the early models with the optional non vented top, its better to make sure its not competing for airflow with the cpu cooler

possibly just crank up the rpm of the intake fan if you want to make sure things are staying cool

I've just actually played a game for half an hour (Dead by Daylight) And the CPU hit 79c with the GPU at 83c.. Regarding the case I'm assuming It's the newer version as the top is ventilated and the PSU is already facing with the fan up to draw air from the top, I've just tried to ramp up the rpm of the front intake fan in the BIOS but the only option I was given was silent,standard and turbo, I set turbo and I'm not noticing much of a difference in sound so Idk if it's actually made a difference. Going to play some other games and see what temps I get

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS