Quick Disconnect on/off meter

Hi guys,

I would like to discuss something important for many of you who would like to take your cooling outside your PC case and are considering using something like the MO-RA3 420 (https://watercool.de/). 

JayTwoCents recently uploaded a video on “How to install a PC KILL SWITCH” (video: 

So what do I intend to do is to use a Raspberry Pi to essentially “control” the switching on and off. Imagine a scenario where someone would like to play a prank and disconnect one of the tubes outside your case that is going into your external radiator. Imagine that you forgot to plug them in yourself after a maintenance. What would happen? Perhaps a huge leak disaster that will cost you your whole system.

So here – what I would like to do is get a QUICK-DISCONNECT fitting with a 2-pin cable which will return a 1 or 0 depending on if the male part of the quick disconnect is connected or disconnected. Then connect this to a Raspberry pi that is always on (using a mini-UPS). The power switch is also to be plugged in the raspberry pi and to the motherboard power switch pins. The Raspberry pi will:

• NOT allow the PC to be switched on, if one the quick disconnects reads a 0, no matter how many times you press that power button on your case.
  • NOT allow the PC to turn on at all if the raspberry pi itself is not on (due to power outage).
  • Switch off the pump if one of the quick disconnects is suddenly pulled while the system is ON.
  • Switch off the system by bridging the two power pins on your motherboard for x amount of seconds.
  • Control your PWM fans (and maybe pump) speeds depending on water temperature.

The question is whether there are quick disconnects out there on the market that would report whether they are disconnected or connected, like how a thermistor would report the temperature of the water in your watercooling loop to the motherboard by plugging it in the sensor header?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

It is very unlikely this product exists because you're talking about anti-tampering. It's not likely any PC liquid cooling manufacturer put this thought into their fitting design because it's a non-issue.

The kind of pumps that you find in computers (even laning D5s) don't produce enough pressure to overcome the fittings assuming they were installed properly. Worse case scenario the life span of the pump is deceased and your computer shuts-down from overheat. Leaks though? No, not unless you did a bad job of leak testing.

Also this is a fairly unlikely situation to have occur. Unless you live with a bully who even knows how to disconnect the fittings.

Further if this is a concern you're better off locking the room the computer is in as appose to attempting to tamper-proof the PC itself.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It is very unlikely this product exists because you're talking about anti-tampering. It's not likely any PC liquid cooling manufacturer put this thought into their fitting design because it's a non-issue.

The kind of pumps that you find in computers (even laning D5s) don't produce enough pressure to overcome the fittings assuming they were installed properly. Worse case scenario the life span of the pump is deceased and your computer shuts-down from overheat. Leaks though? No, not unless you did a bad job of leak testing.

Also this is a fairly unlikely situation to have occur. Unless you live with a bully who even knows how to disconnect the fittings.

Further if this is a concern you're better off locking the room the computer is in as appose to attempting to tamper-proof the PC itself.

I know what you mean. maybe I will find a work-around, but what I am trying to do here is to protect the PC from myself. So when I think about watercooling, I also think of how to safe-guard it. But yes, I do agree with your answer - it's just, maybe not from anyone else but myself.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

15 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

I know what you mean. maybe I will find a work-around, but what I am trying to do here is to protect the PC from myself. So when I think about watercooling, I also think of how to safe-guard it. But yes, I do agree with your answer - it's just, maybe not from anyone else but myself.

Well if that's the case if you don't mind the fittings looking less than beautiful you could just make your own using wire and preferably metal tape (increase the likelihood of good contact)

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Well if that's the case if you don't mind the fittings looking less than beautiful you could just make your own using wire and preferably metal tape (increase the likelihood of good contact)

I was thinking about just making it easier in a way that - a flow meter. Just have the PC shut-off when the flow gets under a certain value. But my MB doesn't have a header for that... uhhh...