Dell vs Acer (1440p 144hz)

eman1000

Hi, I'm looking into getting a 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming but am unsure which of these selections to go with. They are both TN panels, but I am wondering which one will have better contrast and overall quality.

Acer XF240YU

Dell S2417DG

Also, this 1440p VA panel monitor caught my eye. I know Samsung makes great panels, so I am also wondering how this compares to the two aforementioned TN panel monitors. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Apparently the Dell has super washed out colors, so I won't be going with that one. I'm guessing the Acer isnt very far off from that, being a TN panel as well.

I guess I'm just wondering how the Viotek fares for a 1440p monitor?

I definetily wouldn't go with either one of those.They are small as heck. I'd rather go with a 32" wqhd 60hz display over an 23,8" wqhd 144hz display. 22" is basically as small as monitors get.

Or, more realisticly, i would invest about 300 bucks more and get a proper one.

https://amzn.to/2Wb1KfC

This way you know you get something nice.

It's big, 165hz, curved and 1ms

Also it's a brand product which would imply that it is a quality product.

I once bought a cheap screen and i literally saw bright spots caused by the background leds after A DAY of use.

Better save a bit more money to buy something nice than buying a cheap product which will have a lot of small drawbacks. Those add up and can get really annoying.

4 hours ago, Allptraum1989 said:

I definetily wouldn't go with either one of those.They are small as heck. I'd rather go with a 32" wqhd 60hz display over an 23,8" wqhd 144hz display. 22" is basically as small as monitors get.

Or, more realisticly, i would invest about 300 bucks more and get a proper one.

https://amzn.to/2Wb1KfC

This way you know you get something nice.

It's big, 165hz, curved and 1ms

Also it's a brand product which would imply that it is a quality product.

I once bought a cheap screen and i literally saw bright spots caused by the background leds after A DAY of use.

Better save a bit more money to buy something nice than buying a cheap product which will have a lot of small drawbacks. Those add up and can get really annoying.

I hear you on the quality part. I just can't justify paying double the price for basically the same specs.  And even for $700, that Asus is still a TN. I don't care for G-Sync - FreeSync works great for me, and I would much rather invest in some color contrast.

As far as screen size, my current monitor is 27" and I personally feel it's a bit big for gaming. I find 24" is the sweet spot for me. I don't have to look around while I play and I get a tight pixel density - and it's also cheaper. I'm just looking for a good 24" 1440p gaming monitor that doesn't break the bank.

21 hours ago, eman1000 said:

Hi, I'm looking into getting a 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming but am unsure which of these selections to go with. They are both TN panels, but I am wondering which one will have better contrast and overall quality.

Acer XF240YU

Dell S2417DG

Also, this 1440p VA panel monitor caught my eye. I know Samsung makes great panels, so I am also wondering how this compares to the two aforementioned TN panel monitors. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stay away form the Dell. See this thread as to why. It's not just "washed out" colors, it's color banding that makes any JPG (including within many games) a pain to look at.

3 minutes ago, Ambious said:

Stay away form the Dell. See this thread as to why. It's not just "washed out" colors, it's color banding that makes any JPG (including within many games) a pain to look at.

Will do. Thank you for the heads up.

1 minute ago, eman1000 said:

Will do. Thank you for the heads up.

If only I could go back in time and give myself the same warning ?