Entry level DSLR 400-600 euros range and general advice

I know, I know. Yet another guy who makes a thread like this. I will cut to the chase.  I have an ancient olympus point-shoot camera as well as an ancient analog video camera that I want to replace with a single affordable DSLR KIT. I am more comfortable going for a Nikon or Canon than Sony, Pentax etc. I will be investing on some good lenses later on and i prefer better lenses than a better camera. Problem is if I invest in a certain brand, I'm not going to switch to another brand later when I feel like upgrading because my pc addiction takes up a lot of money. That's why it is a big decision for me. Models in this price range in my country include:

NIKON KITS:

• d3200 - 418 euros
  • d3300 - 580 euros
  • d5100 - 460 euros

CANON KITS:

• 600D (T3i) - 450 euros
  • 650D (T4i) - 600 euros
  • 100D (SL1) - 500 euros

PENTAX KITS:

• K-500 - 466 euros
  • K-30 - 535 euros

I am not going to bother with SONY as I haven't been satified with any of their products that I have purchased. I would prefer staying under 550 euros to start saving up for lenses. I am mostly keen on the D3200.

All kits include 18-55 lens, stabilization and autofocus.

I am also looking for advice on SD cards. I want a 32GB one that is both fast and cheap. I think I am not going to be doing a lot of continuous shooting so I don't need the fastest, but one that is fast enough for video. I can afford about 30-40 euros on the card, depending which camera I am getting.

I want to keep it as cheap as I can.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Get the D3200 without the kit lens. I found the kit lens terrible and get this lens. I just cannot recommend the stock lens sorry

Get the D3200 without the kit lens. I found the kit lens terrible and get this lens. I just cannot recommend the stock lens sorry

That scales up to 75mm on a DX which is not that great for the more wide angled scenery shots I am interested in. I also don't like having a prime lens as my primary one, I think I will feel a bit constricted. But maybe you are right, I really don't know.

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

The 600D is a great camera and their 18-55mm is pretty good for a first lens. As a Canon user myself I don't know how the D3200 performs but it looks good on paper.
I'd go with the 600D, if possible you should get the kit with the 18-135mm but that one is more expensive. It's at $750 on Amazon. Otherwise the 18-55 sould suite you well.

Never go with a prime lens for your first and primary lens. If you're just starting you will need a zoom lens to get the desired composition. Once you're more experienced you should buy a prime, preferably a 50mm 1.8 of bigger, you will know there to stand to get the picture that you wanted and as a bonus, those lenses are very sharp, most of the time.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

Never go with a prime lens for your first and primary lens. If you're just starting you will need a zoom lens to get the desired composition. Once you're more experienced you should buy a prime, preferably a 50mm 1.8 of bigger, you will know there to stand to get the picture that you wanted and as a bonus, those lenses are very sharp, most of the time.

I disagree, it teaches you composition, you can still "Zoom" you use your feet. Learning with a prime lens taught me how to angle myself much faster

600D I love it

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

600D or the D3200 are kinda the same.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Actually i disagree with You. The 3200 as well as The other nikon models have better Video imo.

A friend upgraded from a 3200 and said the video quality was better...I guess that was self-induced.I don't know many people with Nikons though D:.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

A friend upgraded from a 3200 and said the video quality was better...I guess that was self-induced.I don't know many people with Nikons though D:.

I do, my only issue with the nikon is the mic, but that can be fixed cheaply

I am leaning towards Nikon because my uncle has a 7100 and a lot of lenses so he may give me one he doesn't use or at least lend me so i know where to go lens wise later. I know about the misplaced mic problem with the nikons but as said it is an easy fix. D3200 or 5100?

Spoiler

I own the 700D (T5i) but from that list the Nikon D3200 is the stand out camera.

I looked into buying either the D3200 or D5200 but only went for the Canon as it felt better in my hand.

I am very sure you would be very happy with the D3200.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I decided to go with the D3200 and upgrade some time in the future. First alternative: There is one kit that comes with the 35mm f/1.8G lens for 540 euros instead of the 18-55 and another that comes with the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR for 550 euros. Second alternative: Is to buy body only (370 euros) and get a 50mm f/1.8D for 120 euros or a 50mm f1/1.8G for 195. I don't know what is different between the two but I think I will feel a bit restricted because those scale up to 72.5mm on DX cameras. Third alternative: Is to buy the standard 18-55mm kit and use it to get a feel of where I want to go lens wise. Help... Please... Desperate for advice...

Spoiler

1st choice, 50mm is a large zoom and I find 35mm around eye zoom

I would go with the kit lens while you learn how to use the camera then decide where you want to go from there.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good cheap introduction into the world of prime lenses.

Also borrow from your uncle.

Changed my mind. I will go for the D5200 with 18-55 kit lens which I found for 540 euros and try to save up for a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. I figured if I am going to buy a DSLR and keep it for 4-5 years until I hopefully upgrade to a full size sensor one, it might as well have a good AF, 60 fps 1080i and exposure bracketing.

Spoiler

Changed my mind. I will go for the D5200 with 18-55 kit lens which I found for 540 euros and try to save up for a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. I figured if I am going to buy a DSLR and keep it for 4-5 years until I hopefully upgrade to a full size sensor one, it might as well have a good AF, 60 fps 1080i and exposure bracketing.

Nice. I so wanted the 5200 until I actually held it and the Canon 700D and the Canon just felt "right". I was so dissapointed as I wanted to love the Nikon so much.

Part of me still wishes I had got it. If I had an uncle with a load of lenses I would have.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Consider Panasonic Lumix G5 or G6. Great video options and also good lenses.

Consider Panasonic Lumix G5 or G6. Great video options and also good lenses.

But they are mirrorless and not DSLR's.

• 2 weeks later...

But they are mirrorless and not DSLR's.

The only differense between DLSR and mirrorless is the electronic viewfinder instead of the mirror.