RTX 2080 or Monitor

jmack

So here is the dilemma, I have some upgrade money I can spend on my rig but I am not entirely sure where to put it.

Currently I am using:
i7 4790k
GTX 1070
LG 27ud68 (27", 4k, Freesync (works with G-Sync), overclockable to 72hz)

I know the CPU is old, but it's still a powerhouse and upgrading wont get it any amazing gains at this point in time.

So I am divided. On one end, I could purchase a RTX 2080 and try to push 4k and not worry about bottlenecking, but I would be limited due to the monitor's lackluster performance. 

Or, I could purchase a better monitor like the old but king ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (G-Sync, 1440, 144hz (overclockable more), IPS) and stick with the 1070 for now.

If you were in my situation, where would you spend your money?

The rtx cards are kind of overpriced and depends if the games you play can push 144hz in QHD with a 1070.Also how are u a mod with only 36 posts?

4 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

The rtx cards are kind of overpriced and depends if the games you play can push 144hz in QHD with a 1070.Also how are u a mod with only 36 posts?

I worked at LMG and Floatplane Media and volunteered to help out as a mod. I mostly interact with users via DM's and thus why my post count is low. 

Once you go 144hz, you dont go back, so keep that in mind. I'm currently using a 1440p144hz panel, and a 1070 will not keep up in most games other than csgo for example. I would probably buy the 2080.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I'd grab the monitor. The 1070 should still pull decent frames at 1440p. (Not 144 obviously)

You can always grab a 2080 later.