Confirmation of Test Results and possible LGA1366 recommendations

Go to solution Solved by Ironsolid,

A co worker brought me a processor. Replacing the processor outside of the case, and powering on with only a stick of RAM - we booted.

After seating the motherboard into the case and attempting to boot I accidentally connected a 6 PIN to the 8 PIN for the CPU and attempted to boot. 6 pin got a bit hot - and now we're back to F3 F6 F3 F6 62 - can connecting that 6 pin to the cpu power brick the cpu? God damn this is getting fun.

- Added update to the OP

E: No processor boot codes are normal

Return processor and F3 F6 F3 62 returns.

I think this motherboard is frying processors.

E2: Bent pins on the board. All done. Chucking it

I have recently started working on my wife's computer (which is used primarily as a media server) that was blue screening. My wife, who knows a good bit about troubleshooting computers never felt like looking up the BSOD error codes. I took the computer into a different room and it would no longer boot. 

MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI3

Processor: i7-950

I started by removing all necessary hardware and cabling except for the processor, 24-pin power and 8-pin power . 

First boot attempt: F3 - F6 - F3 - 68 -  After quite a bit of searching and seeing this being a common error code for this PC indicating mainly a bad motherboard, I removed the CMOS battery for about 20 minutes, reseated it and the error persisted

Second boot attempt: repeat error code, I proceeded to remove the mobo from the case.

First Boot attempt without the case: same error code. I came across This thread from EVGA forums, the 7th reply from tweaked

If you still get the f3 f6 loop with no Ram installed then it is likely a memory controller issue.  The memory controller for all X58 motherboards is in the CPU.

So, I removed the CPU and FF code populated, which according to the manual is the standard boot code. Pretty sure the CPU is is the issue. Anything else I should try before looking for a used cpu? Any recommendations for an LGA 1366?

UPDATE 5/26 7:55 AM

A co worker brought me a processor. Replacing the processor outside of the case, and powering on with only a stick of RAM - we booted.

After seating the motherboard into the case and attempting to boot I accidentally connected a 6 PIN to the 8 PIN for the CPU and attempted to boot. 6 pin got a bit hot - and now we're back to F3 F6 F3 F6 62 - can connecting that 6 pin to the cpu power brick the cpu? God damn this is getting fun.

UPDATE 5/26 8:30 AM

There is a small group is what appears to be bent pins on the board. Trashing the board.

seems like you covered all the basis here. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Thanks Skiiwee, I work in IT and am pretty damn confident with everyone else's problems, but never my own.

yeah, perhaps look for a LGA1366 Xeon, or RMA the board, if its still under warranty.

The board is 7? years old, just trying to prolong the inevitable. I might call around some local places to see if I can test with one of their processors with potential to buy if it confirms.

- Added update to the OP

E: No processor boot codes are normal

Return processor and F3 F6 F3 62 returns.

I think this motherboard is frying processors.

E2: Bent pins on the board. All done. Chucking it